PEAX Equipment

MI Grouse opener 9/15/2020

LoveBirdDogs

Was a good opener for us. Took 14.5 year old Brandy out this morning by herself. She had 5 flushes a total of 6 grouse and one woodcock. We brought home 2 Grouse. This afternoon I took Zander, Drake and Daisy out. It was 73 deg little warm. Xander had a single 4 bird flush. I had a shot but missed. Both Xander and Drake got too hot and had to retire to the truck. Thirteen month old Daisy however was doing great for her first wild bird hunt. She Flushed 1 Grouse and two wood @#)(#.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gd4Fw2sErh4mVykt9
It was a young bird missing all it's tail feathers. I asked Daisy what happen to them but she just was not talking. She just wanted it back.

You had a better opener than I did. Forgot the dog's shock collar, and he doesn't listen worth a damn once he figures out the collar isn't on. He flushed the first grouse way too far out, and then just hunted for himself the rest of the time. At 10 years old, he should know better, but he was a wildman in the woods this weekend. Congrats on your good luck. I was in the UP, and it's good to see there are still some birds out there.

You had a better opener than I did. Forgot the dog's shock collar, and he doesn't listen worth a damn once he figures out the collar isn't on. He flushed the first grouse way too far out, and then just hunted for himself the rest of the time. At 10 years old, he should know better, but he was a wildman in the woods this weekend. Congrats on your good luck. I was in the UP, and it's good to see there are still some birds out there.
Sorry to hear your issues. I have a dog that I rescued who was trained with a collar and he too does not obey very well unless he has that collar on. I have since FF him and he does a little better now. I got him at the age of one year so it's harder to fix at that point. His life style as a pup was different then what my pups experience. I often wait for the leaves to be off before I hunt him. My other dogs are not collar trained and do not wear them. I do run tracking collars on all my dogs. In case they get lost or caught in a trap. Brandy the 14.5 year old can't hear and has poor eye site. She has gotten separated before.

My other dogs started training early through controlled play. I do field work weekly with my dogs including quartering work, retrieving, and steadiness work. As a pup reaches a point where I think they are ready they will be FF. Regardless of their desire to retrieve. They need to learn they must obey commands its not their choice. They also learn.
1. If you disobey you will go back to the truck and I will get another dog out.
2. I will take your reward away for disobeying.
3. I will apply pressure if you do not follow my command.

They don't end up being perfect robots. I do allow them a little room. After all it has to be fun for them or whats the point.

Give your dog time to settle into the season. You may find he will settle down a little. One other thing you might try with him. Sneak a dead duck or pigeon into your pack. When he runs out to far shoot your gun in the air when he comes back to check on the gun fire pull out the dead bird and show him the bird you flushed and retrieved with out him. If he thinks all the fun is going on near you he may stick a little closer. Dog's are greedy and jelly.

Last edited:
Grouse are hard to find here in Oregon. Just finding a place they might be is a min 100 mi trip one way. Got the Ochoco's and go up there several time's a year. have never seen a grouse there but nice country! Remember hunting them in Montana and Alaska years ago and really miss finding them not to mention eating them. I envy you guy's that have them! Couple places I've heard of over east farther and gonna try it one of these days but they are 150mi to the closest, long trip.

Was a good opener for us. Took 14.5 year old Brandy out this morning by herself. She had 5 flushes a total of 6 grouse and one woodcock. We brought home 2 Grouse. This afternoon I took Zander, Drake and Daisy out. It was 73 deg little warm. Xander had a single 4 bird flush. I had a shot but missed. Both Xander and Drake got too hot and had to retire to the truck. Thirteen month old Daisy however was doing great for her first wild bird hunt. She Flushed 1 Grouse and two wood @#)(#.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gd4Fw2sErh4mVykt9
It was a young bird missing all it's tail feathers. I asked Daisy what happen to them but she just was not talking. She just wanted it back.
I think you would be a great person to show us how dynamic the colors and patterns of Ruffed Grouse plumage can get. I have always enjoyed the individualistic appearance of these birds. Photos of the birds back and tails sure can get interesting.
IMG_20171017_113611568_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171021_155414573.jpg

You need to find canopy. The biggest threat to Ruffed Grouse is avian predators. The birds seek out thick young growth accompanied with food. Berries, acorns, and other types of seeds. I would look for sampling forest this time of the year.
1600714142911.png

I see many different color combinations. The one I like the best is Brown with brown band. I have several that are brown with grey of black bands on the tail. Grey is the predominant color phase that I see. Brandy got this bird several years ago and it was wounded tried to run. She ended up pulling most of the tail feathers out. I thought they were destroyed but I took them home held them over steaming water and let them retake their shape. Once dried they looked great.
1600714265702.png

This is one I took about 6 years ago. I was a big bird.

1600713957242.png1600713677538.png

Good job guys! Looking like a real bad hatch here. I have only saw a handful of ruffies this fall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back