MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The swamp taketh and giveth

JShane

20210131_160818.jpg20210131_153631.jpg20210131_163245.jpg

It was not my day in the swamp to end the season. I watched drake after drake fly away after the shot to the point of defeated ambivalence. On my paddle out I took the time to soak in the end of the season, what I'd learned, what I'd gained, and what changes I will make before next season.
The first drake I shot at on this hunt was 5 minutes from launching and I've come to expect the birds to be in this area. I spotted him before he spotted me so I had the jump on him only to whiff on the shot.
Fast forward to the end of the hunt and I have paddled back to the same general area near the ramp. I know birds will be back in there so I pull off the main channel and secure the kayak before taking a walk. I flush a couple that present no shot but circle and land with range. I pull up on the drake and proceed to miss. His buddy picks up and flies a short distance and outs back down. I ease over in that direction and spot him under a fallen tree. As he flushes I wait for him to clear the trunk of the tree and proceed to fire 2 of my last 3 rounds. WHIFF.
Dumbfounded, I take my beating and accept defeat the end of my season is gonna be a goose egg. I turn and start my walk out of the swamp back to my kayak to paddle home. 10 yards into my walk and there he is, the first bird I shot at this day. A gift for sure and a marvelous one at that. Flummoxed by it all I simply pray for forgiveness for my lack of humility, stubbornness, and selfishness. I express my gratitude for this one beautiful drake, walk to the kayak and paddle out.
Back at the ramp I load my gear, pour a celebratory old fashioned and reminisce on a fine season to be proud of. Cheer.

Oh before I forget, Nick he's only about a 6 footer just sunning himself. I paddled in to about 6 feet from him to snap his picture. Dude wanted to be a Hunt talk star. I back paddled out and he never moved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back