Mexican Border Units

passinthru

What precautions do you guys that hunt near the border, use for your camps when hunting? I've read threads talking about being careful and carrying a sidearm. But do you take care in trying to hide camp or other tactics?

I'd like to hunt coues down there and some year I'm going to pull a sheep tag:rolleyes:, but I'm not interested in getting into it with the UDI's. Even the Az regs. mention increased UDI activity and drug trafficking.

When hunting the desert units, wilderness areas and packing in miles on your back, what is your water strategy? If those suckers stole your water stash, it would get serious in a hurry.

I've had my share of run ins with wildlife, but this is a variable I've yet to encounter.

Put the Border Patrol phone number on speed dial. They are actually very thankful that they get phone calls from people who see activity. When I was down there with Stan a few years ago we called in some and they came to investigate and try to catch them.

I did the exact opposite of what most people would think.

Rather than hide my camp, I set up in the most visible and high traffic area I could find, right close to a border check point.

You have to remember that the illegals, and in particular the drug runners, are doing everthing they can to avoid being seen. You hide your camp in the brush someplace, and they come across it, you're going to get your camp slicked.

I would try to camp in an area that has a lot of traffic and where people are always around if possible.

I left my wall tent unattended all day for about a week...never had a problem.

Buzz is exctly rite. On the other hand call oobama and janet napallitano and ask em why the border isn't safe. It is BS That we cant hunt in our own country and feel or be safe. Those southern units are some of the best Coues country and most people are afraid to hunt it. The last time I did 2 years ago we had a great hunt and We packed our pistols the whole time. Packin just makes You feel better. Never felt threatened or in trouble as I concentrate on hunting deer not wetbacks, but always kept an eye out. Yo will see border patrol , but not enough in My op. and I think their hands are tied by this administration also. napollitanno was our governer in AZ. and knows whats gowing on but probably can't and wont do anything to stop the wets. If America wanted to stop them We whould put the army at the border like Mexico does at their border to central America. Hunt and don't let nothing stop Ya. .....BOB!

Last edited:
The up side to the danger is that there are fewer people putting in for the permits. I was planning on a hunt down there with some Az buddies, but too much money laid out for other things lately. We were going to be camping there without worry. We are all retired BP Agents and don't worry too much about them.

The afore-mentioned advice is good, though. Just pack a pistol when you are in camp. Otherwise, you are armed anyway. They want to get through and don't spend much time raiding camps. The biggest threat would be losing some of your food if a group comes through, or maybe even your vehicle if you leave the keys in it.

Unless you are just into the backpack thing and like miserable conditions, I would just camp in an area where you can hunt within several miles of camp or a short drive. You don't have to hike many miles in most areas to be in good Coues country.

Be in good shape, as that country is no joke. Be very familiar with your rifle, as shots could be long and wear leather boots. Everything there will poke through the nylon types (learned the hard way). The Coues hunt is one of the best hunts that I ever did and if you are after a big one only, it will be an extreme challenge. Those little guys are no joke.

when we hunt 35a we camp at parker canyon lake. its a decent campground and we never have to worry about camp. a short 15 minute drive and you are in great coues country

The wife and I hunted within hiking distance of the border two years in a row. Never had a problem and we were gone from camp before daybreak and returned after dark except when we had deer to put in the cooler. Saw plenty of wetback sign but they were more interetsed in getting out of dodge under the cover of darkness than risking an encounter at a camp.

Thanks for the responses.

We were thinking like Buzz mentioned and setting up the wall tent as base camp and going from there. Doesn't sound like you have to back pack in for the deer, but some of the sheep areas I've read about having to go in quite a ways and bivying. Some used horses or mules, but was wondering if anyone has gone in with camp on their back.

Would like to try the coues this Dec., hopefully the sheep tag isn't too far out either:D Probably shouldn't worry about the sheep till the tag is in hand I guess.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back