The Highs and Lows of Elk Hunting

Broadhead

I moved out to Colorado slightly over a year ago to chase the majestic, wild creatures that we call elk. After all, why pay for a non-resident tag, when you can pay a 10th of the price for a resident one, right?? I put in countless hours listening to Randy's podcasts, reading the plethora of knowledge each of you share on the Hunt Talk forums, crunching statistics from the CPW website, struggling to carry my excessively heavy pack on scouting trips and putting many miles on my boots. After deciding on a unit for an upcoming week of Archery hunting in mid-September, I still hadn't devised a strategy for opening day.

As opening day slowly approached, I expanded my search for units around my location, utilizing Google Earth and OnXMaps to gain further clarity on where I thought elk may be located. The weekend before opening day I had selected a location that I thought looked "elky," having no clue what elk habitat really looked like and drove there before sunrise. Upon my arrival I saw an older gentleman pull off the side of the road and grab a spotting scope. Upon driving past, I asked if he had saw any elk. He smiled and said, "About to look at some now. Pull off and join me?" We proceeded to glass about 15 cow and calves on the opposing mountainside. I mentioned how there was a low success rate in the area and asked how the population in the area is since it is so close to the Denver metro area. Laughing, he replied, "I've been hunting this unit for 40 years and I shoot a big one every year!" He gave me a few details of how to get to the opposite mountainside and proceeded on his way. I knew that mountainside would be where I was heading for opening day.

Fortunately, I have a buddy who decided to tag along with me for the big day. We got to the trailhead a little later than expected Friday, so we ended up camping at the truck. After struggling up the mountain at 4:45am Saturday morning, we finally arrived tired and out of breath 45 minutes after sunrise.

IMG_0568.jpg

We got set up in a small group of trees where I had saw the cows the following weekend. After an hour, I decided we should move closer to the basin so that we could glass more of the area. As I am halfway across the clearing, a spike walks out 30 yards in front of me. Frozen, I stood there and let it walk within 12 yards before it fed on down the hill. The 5x5 bull that my buddy said was following him decided not to come our direction after another hunter spooked the spike a few minutes later.

IMG_0533.jpg

That evening we were set up overlooking the same meadow. As 6:30pm approached, we watched as a 4x4 fed at the top of the mountain. As we were devising a strategy of how to approach him for a shot, I glanced off to our right and standing 200 yards away was a nice 5x5. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! As he fed out of sight, I slipped out of our make-shift blind and started my stalk. Having never tried spot and stalking an animal, I wasn't sure what to expect. Utilizing the natural tree cover, I keep small clusters of trees between him, leaving just enough so that I could see when his head was down and feeding. Halfway across, I stepped on a hidden branch and I swear I've never heard a noise so loud. Expected him to turn and run, I was devastated. For the second time that day, I was frozen with an elk staring right at me. I was relieved when he put his head back down and continued feeding. I stuck to my plan and slowly worked my way to 43.8 yards when I stepped out from behind a bush to range him.

IMG_0565.jpg

I drew my Elite Energy 32, found my pin, settled on my anchor point, aimed at the opposite shoulder for the quartering away shot that had presented itself and let the arrow fly. As it made contact, I knew I had hit exactly where I was aiming. The arrow penetrated at least 20 inches before stopping at the other shoulder blade. I will never forget the sound the arrow made as it connected and he started running. He whirled around to run up the meadow, then realized he couldn't do that. He swung back around and went crashing through the woods. As the adrenaline and "Bull Fever" hit me, I was overwhelmed with emotion. My very first day of elk archery hunting and I had already arrowed a nice 5x5 bull. I thought to myself, "Why do yall always complain that this is so difficult?!?"

After nearly 45 minutes, we went to check for blood. There was decent blood where he entered the woods so we slowly started the tracking job. The bright red spray showed that I had connected with at least one lung, while the deep crimson drops showed that I had hit liver. We proceeded to bob and weave through the trees, tracking him for 4 hours that night before being too exhausted to continue. After a sleepless night, we arose at sunrise and continued along the blood-trail. He had continued his path downhill and past two water sources. As the day got longer, we could tell the arrow hole was starting to clot up, as he was brushing the clots off on branches in the dark timber. The blood slowly went from drops to specks, eventually running out completely. We continued searching until nearly 4 o'clock before having to call it quits. Needless to say, it was a heartbreaking experience and one that I will never forget. To those that have lost an animal, especially you first elk or bull, my heart goes out to you. I will never know why he didn't kill over in a few hundred yards as the blood-trail eluded. Perhaps it was the shot or something completely outside of my control. Either way it is not something I want to encounter again. As they say, "That's the nature of the beast." But it sure isn't fun when it happens to you. Best of luck to you all on your hunting adventures this season!

Tough way to start out. Sounds like you put good effort towards tracking. My first year bow hunting I started the first sunrise in thick cover listening to a bugle. I'd done my homework and struggled up this hillside through downed aspen and was elated that it had paid off. Only problem I hadn't thought through was the cover was so thick I couldn't see 10 yards. Never even saw the elk I heard run off as I tried to stalk through the oak brush. Never heard or saw another elk for the rest of the week. So, yea, highs and lows.

First bull I shot was a whopper. Buddy said 340 7x7...I knew enough he was a shooter, so I wasn't looking at horns. Bull was going to be broadside at 30...just needed 3 more steps. Then the wind changed and he doubled back to catch the wind. Ended up quartering towards at 33 yards. I should have shot him in the neck, but tried to sneak it behind the shoulder. Didn't quite work. Ended up tracking him nearly a mile. Never broke the arrow off. My buddy ended up seeing him 5 days later, so that made me feel a lot better.

I've been there. Luckily for me I ended on a high that year. Its a roller coaster for sure.

Tough rite of passage you have experienced, but it just makes the experience that much more fulfilling in the long run. Hike back up in there and see if you can spot some ravens or catch a whiff of it, if nothing else it will be a good way to keep getting out there the rest of the season.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you made a good shot. I'm sure I'd have done the same thing. Only thing I can think is maybe you went after him a little early. Given a little more time, maybe he doesn't go very far and lays down and dies? All in hindsight and from someone less experienced in archery elk hunting than you. So take that for what it is worth...which isn't much.
Congrats on getting a shot at a bull and I'm sure the next time will turn out more favorable.

Anyone who has archery hunted will experience that high and low eventually. Tough way to start. Don't let it hang over you and keep trying. Good luck!

I had a friend last year shoot one high in the single lung at 20 yards. We waited 4 hours to start tracking because of no blood at the shot sight and following his first tracks only a drop here and there if that. He went about 200 yards and bedded down. We ended up bumping him in the bed and his adrenaline kicked in and he ran forever. We followed him visually best we could and marked his area based where we could and compared maps and terrain of where he would head being wounded with the direction he took off. We found him the next morning and we were able to get him quartered and cooled quickly with no spoilage. We thought this bull was gone forever but needed to give it the extra try and effort not to waste an animal. Not knowing how long you waited before tracking, if you spook them they will take every ounce of energy left to get to safety. Blood is tricky. I had another friend hunting a different area with similar situation, blood all over the place and as he tracked it, less and less and finally stopped. They never recovered it. Elk are huge muscular animals and each one is different. It amazes me the stories like yours and the ones where the elk runs 40 yards and piles up!

Your story is exciting and a bummer at the same time. I appreciate your extra effort in searching for that animal. All we can do is our best and it sounds like you definitely did that! It's good to hear you gave the extra effort.

We moved so slow in the beginning that he would have had plenty of time to lay down and expire. We never came across an area where he laid down, so I know we didn't bump him that night. My best guess is he laid down in the thick stuff where we last found blood and he's still laying there. We searched the thick stuff for two hours, but there was so much other elk sign that it was impossible to tell where he had went.

Happened to most of us, to me for sure, it's not something you want but it's something that happens. Keep your head up and think about the good stuff that came along with the hunt, I don't have any advice for your shot placement as it sounds like you made a good choice but you drew the short end of the stick with a bull that refused to go down. Tough critters for sure.

I started my big game archery career last spring by arrowing a turkey I didn't recover.

The experience was amazing. The work, self education, calling, hours of practice. Could not believe it all worked. Only to come crashing down when I couldn't find him. Really hurt my feelings, but was a lesson I really took to heart. Sounds like you will do the same.

Thank you for sharing your first experience. I’m glad to see that someone was able to find a nice looking bull near a metro area. Those are the areas that some hunters prefer not to even apply for a tag but if you manage to find an “Elky” spot, you know that area can be a potential spot for many more years to come.

--ColoradoHunter719

Great/Tough story. Whitetails usually go to water if you lose the trail. I once recovered a whitetail in a creek after trailing in standing corn for several hours. Not sure if this applies to elk though. I was walking back to the truck after one night and most of next day trailing my first buck when I noticed the white belly floating in the creek and have helped a couple others who have lost trails pick them up again near water.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back