Merino Wool ?

huntbux

Does anyone know anything about Merino wool? How is it for hunting? I can get it for a decent price in my opinion. LS shirt and pants for 60$.

I have a Merino base layer that I use for the coldest days. I find the performance similar to my old Sitka Mothwing base layer, but the Merino packs down a little smaller for the back country. If you get cold, both are good options IMO.

I've used a smartwool merino wool base layer (midweight) for cold weather hunting and for winter fly fishing and love them. $60 is a good price for real merino.

I use smartwool as my underlayer from September-April, I love the stuff.

I do love all of my merino stuff, but I hear that the newest rage is going to be Alpaca wool, we'll see if it takes off. The guys that push it claim it does even better than Merino in the properties that Merino excels at... who knows???

I've used a lot of merino, and I like it a lot. For straight merino, of what I've used, Icebreaker and I/O Bio have been best, Smartwool coming in 2nd, but still good.

My very favorite baselayers are a merino/synthetic hybrid, Mammut Alpine Underware.

Alpaca will never take off in Montana. Have you seen how tall those things are?

I can see it now, NR big game combo Elk/Deer/Alpaca.....$2000:eek:

Icebreaker has the edge on Smartwool, merino is great, and it does take ages to smell of body odour, but whatever you do, dont was it with fabric conditioner, it will ruin it.
Cheers
Richard

Interesting note on Alpaca....I have a pair of Alpaca sox and they wore out very quickly and didnt perform half as well as my Smartwool sox. I have Smartwool tops and bottoms as well and have been very impressed and use them for Minnesota late season hunting exclusively.

It is also interesting that nobody mentions Under Armour. UA in my opinion does a very good job of wicking, but is worthless for warmth. That is where merino wool shines....wicking AND warmth. The only downside I have experienced is that after wearing it along day, you are glad to get it off your skin. Not bad by any means, but it feels darn good to peel it off and put on a nice soft cotton tshirt to sleep in.

seems it works great for smell and regulation of body temperature, but its pretty weak and tears pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back