Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Merino Wool Boxer Briefs

I have first lite and stone glacier. The SG are a little softer and thinner.

No need to spend the extra cash on hunting-specific brands. Love my REI-brand and Smartwool merino boxer briefs. Tried Saxx merinos but found them to bit a little bit binding.

I've worn many diff brands and will prob try some others I haven't yet to find that price/fit/quality sweet spot, merino briefs are my daily driver.
FL is prob my go to, but most costly as well, but I haven't found others that hold up in comparison to the FL.
I wouldn't recommend their game bag briefs for more than specific reasons (running, biking, etc) or unless you really like your junk and boys held in place like in a tight hammock. Their Wick briefs I like better.
I wouldn't recommend Kuiu only based on fit, I hated how they fit. Wooly, Smart Wool, Icebreaker, BlackOvis all have been ok but YMMV.

I actually had a guy at Sitka tell me for my September hunt he wouldn’t recommend their merino wool ones but said look at Duluth Trading companies Armachillo. He said merino will be too warm.

I actually had a guy at Sitka tell me for my September hunt he wouldn’t recommend their merino wool ones but said look at Duluth Trading companies Armachillo. He said merino will be too warm.
They are amazing. Best underwear I've found for active hunts in above 50 degree weather.20230104_145309.jpg

I found that I have to wear synthetic boxers against my skin even if I wear merino as it rubs my bit raw if you get my meaning. Never hear anyone talk about that gotta believe I'm not the only one. So makes merino boxer redundant and unnecessary for me. On my Colorado bow hunts I carry my FL kiln zip off long John's in my pack if I'm going to sleep out. I can put them on in the evening and then take off as soon as the morning warms up.

I wear the buck naked Duluth traders. I’m going to get some armachillos for this summer though.

I usually go for AC in this area. Hiking with zipper down. Zipper up when sitting long time.
I wear synthetic, quick dry. Think I'll order some Armachillos for some hang time!

Kuiu and SG have been good I think I prefer the Kuiu over the SG but hardly

I’ve only tried one brand and they are the Black Ovis brand I believe I got from from Camo Fire. I like them and they were reasonably priced. I definitely buy them again.

Ain’t the whole thing about merino is if you get thin enough that it can be wicking and cooling? But honestly I wouldn’t doubt that. I swear I’ve noticed the difference between super thin merino wool socks and just like cheap everyday cotton socks if I wear them to work at my office job. My feet definitely sweat more in the merino wools

I quit even trying to make First lite merino underwear work. I would have hole in them in 6 months. Total junk. I have a pair of the ordinal weight Sitkas that held up exceptionally well however they also are a bit long and heavy.
Most of merino boxer briefs are smart wool, they seem the have best combination of fit and durability for me. I have handful of pairs and I can’t tell the difference between them. They just flat out work well. Same for an old pair of ibex wool boxer briefs as well.
Funny thing is my underwear is about the only merino I have left or plan on replacing. For baselayers I find synthetics is better in all respects

Back