Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Merino Socks?

montero ridge

Does anyone have experience with merino wool socks while hunting? The good? The bad? Other great alternatives? I have been considering them for hunting this fall as I usually use just cotton socks and want to get something a lot better for performance and comfort. I have been looking at DarnTough scent lok hunting socks but am open to look at other brands as well or different types.

I wear First Lite Compression socks if its going to be a real physical hunt. I love wearing merino socks in day to day activities and for that I usually stick with Darn Tough but I've found that while hiking my feet seem to slide a little in the sock, it's never gave me a blister but makes me paranoid and drives me crazy. The First Lite Compression Merino are the only socks I've found that stick tight to my feet.

Costco sells a 4 pack of merino wool hiking socks for about 12 bucks a pack. Best socks I have ever worn, especially for the price. I probably own 30 pairs.

schaaf, thanks for the reply. Does the firstlite sock have cushioning? I will be doing hard hunting this fall so that is really important to not have too thin of a sock. I dont want to have to double up.

jryoung, What else do you like about the REI socks aside from the price?

Thanks in advance.

I've pheasant hunted in merino socks from Cabelas, REI, and Smartwool. Putting in lots off long days and hard miles and I find the smartwools to be the longest lasting, albeit they are the most expensive. I vary the weight of the sock to the weather going from light hikers to expedition weight. I have larger boots for the late season. They don't get clammy like cotton and don't stink like poly. I certainly wouldn't risk my hunt to cotton socks not even on a day trip.

So for a late September hunt in Utah, where the temperature can go from freezing to 70 degrees in a day, what thickness or heaviness would be recommended? Would I stick to a lighter sock still?

Ok, thanks for the info, I will check those out along with the other ones mentioned. The price is appealing with the REI hikers but I do like the compression idea with firstlite. Also costco might be good for light summer hiking and day to day stuff.

Though to beat REI merino hikers for their price.

^^^ This for sure. I have them in light through expedition weight. I generally wear the lights down to about 20 and then mediums below that. I also have the Smartwools and really like them but there is a significant price difference. The big plus on ANYTHING you buy from the REI is the absolute guarantee.....plus there is an REI about a mile from my house :) For another frame of reference, before my last deployment I bought 2 pairs of REI lights and 2 pairs of Smartwool lights. I wore those socks 3 days at a time in AFG (drying during sleep period) in rotation and am STILL wearing the same ones fully functional 3 years later.

SFC B, that is really good to know. There is one close by my work so I will check them out on lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

I've been wearing the Costco Merino socks they have every fall for several years now and best bang for your buck,IMHO. My everyday ,year round sock.Early or warm weather hunting too.

Heavier thicker socks I use are Danners,Smartwool,Cabellas,&REI.

I stay away from REI now more,personal. Member 35 yrs and upset with their anti-hunting attitude recently.

Simms wading socks are pricey, but excellent. Lots of cushion and a heavier sock, but I've never complained while wearing them in all 4 seasons.

I use the Costco version for hiking and then have several pairs of Darn Tough that I take on my hunts. Nothing like pulling off your socks after a long day of hunting and NOT smelling sweaty feet.

for anyone in Iowa or southern Minnesota the Fox River Mill has a sale in Osage where all merino socks are 3$ there are many colors thickness and lengths available.

Imo Smartwool do not last as I always rip the heal out pulling them on.

All merino wools socks are not the same. Be sure to check what percent is actually merino wool!

I use a thin liner sock, always. Then a merino hiker over that, the thinner the better. I personally don't use a sock for cushioning, I use the footbed for that.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back