MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Meeker, CO Elk Archery

Torrey

Well I was supposed to be headed out Friday morning for an Elk hunt in the Meeker, CO area but I got a new job and don't have the vacation time available. My uncle, cousin, and some friends are still going so I was just trying to see if anyone has been before or has been in the area this season already? Any information I could possibly provide my uncle would be appreciated. He is hunting traditional and missed a big bull last year so I would like to help him out this year if possible. Thanks and good luck out there.

There is elk everywhere in that unit. I don't think there's a bad spot, unless you see alot of other hunters. He's just going to have to burn boot leather and find the elk. Trophy potential is low in that unit.

There is elk everywhere in that unit. I don't think there's a bad spot, unless you see alot of other hunters. He's just going to have to burn boot leather and find the elk. Trophy potential is low in that unit.
^^^^ this. Some dandies are killed there every year, but they are the exception and not the rule. If they get there and start to get frustrated PM me and I can give you the information for a good outfitter that has horses that could help you find them. He charges, obviously, but he’s pretty reasonable comparatively speaking, and he takes in last minute hunters on their last couple of days of hunting frequently.

Obviously the goal is to do it totally on your own, but it’s good to have a backup plan sometimes

I hunted the Meeker area for years. If you can get in to the Strawberry Creek area that is where they used to hang when I hunted Colorado. The big bulls tend to hide during hunting season. I never hunted archery in that area though. But I would look along the Strawberry Creek area and the road that runs alongside it. I got a lot of elk out of that area in the 70s and 80s. Once time I was setting up camp and tagged out before everyone was there when a herd actually showed up just across the road from where I was setting up.

I should add as others have said, there is a lot of elk in that area. I would either set up where other hunters pressure them your direction or use your leather personnel carriers to get away from the roads. That is where the big bulls will be hanging and there are some big royal bulls in that area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back