Meateater Episode 204: It Should Be Difficult To Get Lost Forever

Nameless Range

The most recent Meateater Podcast is one I have thought about quite a bit since I first heard it a couple days ago. It is about a father whose son disappeared in Costa Rica and his subsequent attempts to find him.

I'll admit there were a couple parts of the podcast that made me cringe a bit. I suppose speaking to a father who has lost a son about that subject will necessarily be awkward, and the guest was courageous, but when it was over I thought to myself, "That was rough." But over the last couple days I've found myself thinking about it.

The guest was a fascinating guy, who is 1-percenter in terms of backcountry/adventuring capability and that lent itself to his search. Another thing I thought was interesting that was unrelated to his son's disappearance was that this fellow uses mountain bikes to traverse large chunks of Alaska off road and does so much faster than those on foot. I won't delve into it but it did make me think of some of the mountain bike threads on here.

Anyway, curious if anyone else listened. It pulled at my heartstrings a bit.

When i first started listening, I thought to myself, "oh man, I dont know if i should keep listening, otherwise I'll start tearing and choking up" but the guest was very strong I thought when speaking about the whole thing. another great episode...

I can't imagine how he kept his composure talking through the podcast. Just a sad story. Half way through the podcast I thought there was no way it couldn't end without him finding his son alive. As weird as it is to say it, at least it wasn't a violent murder.

One of the better meateater podcasts in a long time.

I think Dial is a .001%er

Podcast certainly brought to the forefront the effect one's actions can have on their loved ones. While listening to the podcast I was thinking some of the cavalier statements I've heard people make with regard to back country safety, esp. using spot/garmin etc devices. "If it's my time it's my time man"
Dude bro, I get you think you're iron man, but it's not about you, you buy those type of things in large part for the people that care about you. Roman Dial spent literally years of his life seeking closure.
That's not an indictment of young Roman Dial as the incident took place in 2014.

Also... going backcountry in Costa Rica, woah... spent enough time down there to know there is no way I would be doing that.

Story reminded me a bit of the My favorite murder , episode of the girls missing in Panama.

I cannot believe Steve asked "What was it like seeing a reenactment of your son being chopped up with machetes?" I know he said sorry a minute later but seriously what the hell man??? The slightest bit of empathy could have told you exactly how that probably feels and that it doesn't need to be asked. My gf really didn't like Steven and Callahan in this episode and said they needed one of the female contributors on it.

Then when Steve wanted to argue semantics about what a "natural death" is with the guy while he talks about how his son died. That was so cringe.

This was one of the best pod casts I have listened to. Highly recommended. Being the father of three young 20's sons that like adventure (although certainly not to the Romans level) made it hit home. I can't imagine one of them not coming back from a trip and could almost feel his pain during the podcast. Interested in reading the book.

Last edited:
I found it odd that he was not emotional and the search came off as an adventure for him. He didn’t read his sons email for two weeks and didn’t know when he told him when he was coming home. He seemed disconnected or disinterested in knowing his sons whereabouts. Then he agrees to a reality tv show although what seemed like a good idea to help find him, but the book? I know nothing about this man and I don’t like to judge, I’m just confused why anyone would exploit their sons death like this. Maybe to help other parents who may find themselves in a similar situation? I Do like his parenting on encouraging your kids to go on adventures...

I know nothing about this man and I don’t like to judge

Then why are you judging?

does a man have to cry to be legit about his emotions?

does he have to not make mistakes to be a great parent?

was he actually exploiting it?

practice it man, don't preach it

It was a great conversation to listen to. I think the only reason he can have those conversations and maintain his composure is because of the hell he has gone through over the years since it happened, with the TV production etc. Time is a great healer, but couple that with the exposure this story got and reliving it every day it has hardened him more than most people who lose a child in a more normal fashion I believe. Not that I’m saying it would ever be easy. He also comes from a starting point where he is a bit more pragmatic, and dare I say cavalier, about life and death than most people.

I don’t fault Steve for putting his foot in his mouth a little. Unless you’re a pastor, therapist or a funeral director your conversational skills surrounding deaths is usually pretty elementary.

I found it odd that he was not emotional and the search came off as an adventure for him. He didn’t read his sons email for two weeks and didn’t know when he told him when he was coming home. He seemed disconnected or disinterested in knowing his sons whereabouts. Then he agrees to a reality tv show although what seemed like a good idea to help find him, but the book? I know nothing about this man and I don’t like to judge, I’m just confused why anyone would exploit their sons death like this. Maybe to help other parents who may find themselves in a similar situation? I Do like his parenting on encouraging your kids to go on adventures...

Interesting, I guess it depends on your perspective.

My dad and I did a bunch of adventures growing up, nothing like the Dials... but we did a lot of backpacking, my first peak was at 12 weeks first overnight er was before I was a year old. I was doing 12 mile hikes by age 5 or 6 and some pretty serious back country trips by 10 (long float tips, through hikes, 18 miles in a day, etc). My dad was a big skier, so was I, we both competed at a level where there was serious risk of injury. We both did a bunch of looking back on it super sketchy backcountry stuff. That is all prelude so say my dad had a lot of backcountry knowledge, he taught me what knew and had a pretty good read on my risk tolerance because we had spent so much time with me in the woods and I think that a lot of people wouldn't get it.

When I started doing a lot of my solo back-country trips he and my mom were living in Europe, we talked a lot when I got back, and I let my parents know my in and out dates. Similar to the Dials. But part of what my dad taught me was to always be able to self rescue, and to let people local (who could actually do something) know my plans. I can easily have seen 2 weeks going by before my dad worried.

I think if you aren't a part of this kinda of culture it seems weird. My mom and dad didn't encourage me to have adventures, they took me on them, they taught me risk mitigation, and they expected me to go on adventures and have close calls, because that's what they did.

My mom didn't blink and eye when I said I was going to do a fly in trip in AK, though she said I should try and find a partner... nor did she balk when my sisters said she was going to work in the bush in Sierra Leone and Liberia for a couple months.

As to all the rest, Dial was going to find his kid... all the other shit was means to an end.

Everyone grieves in their own way, for some telling the story is cathartic, and I would imagine a relief as then you don't have to tell the story over and over again.

When I lost my adventure partner I started posting too much on a hunting forum... everyone get's to do it their own way.
1579809287028.png

My personal view is that meateater content has been slipping for a while now. I don't know if they're a victim of their own success, Steve just seems full of himself these days but power to him I guess.

The result for me is rather than eagerly waiting for new podcasts, episodes, recipes I check in every now and then if there is something of interest check it out. This podcast was one of the few recent ones I even bothered to listen to. It was very interesting listening to romans life and the story of his son. Having a son myself I couldn't imagine what he went through. Steve put his foot in it a few times, I think if he wasn't so focused on hearing his own voice all the time he could have avoided asking things like "what was it like to see your son dismembered".

It's a worthwhile listen.

Story reminded me a bit of the My favorite murder , episode of the girls missing in Panama.

wild to me they have a podcast called my favorite murder. Maybe they can have some spin off podcasts called my favorite genocide or my favorite terminal illness.

Last edited:
Then why are you judging?

does a man have to cry to be legit about his emotions?

does he have to not make mistakes to be a great parent?

was he actually exploiting it?

practice it man, don't preach it

I get it and I fully agree. But I also think it’s ok to find this type of behavior, well just a little weird. Making a tv show and writing a book, I wouldn’t want my parents to put my business out to the world after my death. This kid didn’t have a choice in those decisions.

I get it and I fully agree. But I also think it’s ok to find this type of behavior, well just a little weird. Making a tv show and writing a book, I wouldn’t want my parents to put my business out to the world after my death. This kid didn’t have a choice in those decisions.

i get where you're coming from too - it's all pretty odd on the surface

you should listen to it if you haven't, i have a feeling your thoughts might change

everything about roman dial is extraordinary though. extra. ordinary.

two degrees in mathematics and a doctorate biology. backcountry and alpine prowess that any of us could only wish to have. when his son goes missing in another country everything about his efforts to learn the truth will likely also be extra ordinary.

Back