MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Meateater Episode 204: It Should Be Difficult To Get Lost Forever

I listened to this last night. I don't live their lifestyle, so it didn't really hit home for me. I'm very calculated in what I do. I don't put myself into positions where I could run out of food or have to hike out 50 miles in a different direction. I'm always overprepared and I'm the guy who has way too much stuff in his pack.

Being a father, I do understand his pain and I thought he was very sincere about the whole experience. Everyone of us would do whatever possible to find our children in a similar situation.

Agree that is was a refreshingly good and impactful podcast. I used to look forward to each new one, but now I seem to always be wary, feeling lucky when there's a real guest with a themed discussion having some semblance of focus and direction. It must be tough after enough years, to keep finding interesting guests, but I hope they can as it makes all the difference.

It was very interesting for me to listen and hear his ability to speak without the raw emotion one would initially expect. However, I know from my own experience going through some serious challenges with my own son when he was just 1 year old, that after years of talking with people about it, processing it internally and growing as a person one can be more direct in the communication. That said, the deep emotion is still there for sure and some particular word, question or feeling might trigger it. You can hear that later in the interview when he starts to choke up, so I guarantee he still feels it, but as someone said, I expect his years of outwardly communicating it combined with his own survival pragmatism allow him to mostly communicate it in a relatively level manner.

Wow, it was so interesting to hear of the types of extreme adventures he would do, just another level in unbelievable big, wild country. One lesson learned is to never begrudge my monthly Mini Inreach bill as peace of mind is worth it.

A refreshing podcast to be sure. Sad story but reminds me why I used to listen to the meateater podcast so much in the past. Hopefully they return to form.

I listened to it on a road trip yesterday with my daughter, and thought yes, it was sad, but not nearly as bad as some posts on this thread made it sound. He died doing what he loved, and the dangers of being solo in the wilderness were not unknown to father or son. How much worse would it have been to find your son had fallen in with bad characters and was doing things he shouldn't have- and if that was what led to his disappearance. As it was, he died as he lived, and it sounded like making that fact known was one of the motivations for the book.

As for the podcast overall, I'm just glad they aren't packaging up the live shows this year and passing them off as podcasts... those were horrible.

As for the podcast overall, I'm just glad they aren't packaging up the live shows this year and passing them off as podcasts... those were horrible.
I sure thought it sounded like they were, that's what this spring and summer will be.

I found it to be sad, as I think any parent would. But sad is part of life and I know little reminders like this help me to enjoy the moments I have with them.

I don't honestly know what you guys are talking about with minimal interruptions, maybe it's because I haven't been paying attention to them specifically, but I thought Steve still interrupted WAY too much. He needs to get his ego in check and realize that his audience can follow along without his constant interrupting to have them explain something RIGHT NOW that they would have probably explained or figured out later.

They're calling them "off the air" and I think not recording them. A win-win.

I agree.. Steve will interrupt anyone, anytime, man. I think interruptions mentioned above refer to the sponsored sales pitches, when the music comes on. Apparently those are on the rise, but there might have been fewer in this episode. "Dang shame about your son's simulated dismemberment... but before i get into that let's talk about Butcher Box..." Dunno, i was driving :D

Back