Caribou Gear

Meat processor near Delores, Co

ol_spark

Going to unit 71 to hunt third season elk and fourth season deer. Anyone have a meat cutter they would recommend or thoughts on who to stay away from. I've had good ones and bad ones in the past. This is my first time to this area and would appreciate any advice or personal experiences. Thanks

If you are heading East (back toward Pa), and can get to Antonito, Co, the Hometown Market is where I go. Ed is the owner and is a professional meat cutter. He charges $200 and it is professionally done, wrapped, and quick frozen. You can pick it up 24 hours later, completely frozen. Stay in town, or drive South to Chama for the night (about 45 minutes).
In Chama, I have used Lobo Taxidermy and meat processing, but they charge almost double, takes 4 or 5 days, and they do a mediocre job, at best. Plenty of "mystery cuts", and lots of tendon and white chunks in the ground meat (yuck !).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply laelkhunter. The "mystery cuts" are exactly what I want to avoid. I'll add Hometown Market to my list but I'd like to find someone closer in case I get one early in the elk hunt.

Give us a call we can do you a good job, 70 miles south of Delores in New Mexico, We process around 500 elk a year. MGS Custom Cutting, Kirtland ,NM 505-598-5254, good luck , check out our website mgsenterprisesinc.com

Last edited:
Great hunting area. Cannot believe that there is not a meat butcher in Cortez! Family there and not hunted the area.

Back