Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lone Mesa Permit

jphares44

I was one of 25 lucky enough to draw a special hunting permit for Lone Mesa State Park (CO, unit 711) during 2nd rifle season. I'm curious if anyone here has drawn that permit before, and if so, I'd like to hear about your experiences and overall thoughts on that area. I've hunted right next door in unit 71 a couple years, so I have a general understanding of terrain, harvest stats, herd numbers...I'm more interested if you thought the permit was worth its cost and you'd put in for it again, if you felt opportunity was better in the park with this permit than areas outside of it, overall thoughts on the quality/quantity of game the park holds, etc.

Thanks!

Drawn it 3 times back in early 2000’s before they sold off the east end. Loved it. Hunted 1st season twice, 2nd once. Was successful all 3 times. I know there isn’t that many people hunting it but use them to ur advantage. Most of the other hunters hunt the lower elevations and flats, there are some nice drainages that the elk head up to escape. Be the first one there, haul ass up on top, find an over watch and sit and glass at daybreak. U will see the herds heading up, then just move in to get a shot. 6A477D4E-CEFF-4BEE-B50F-D1B4034E3ABE.jpegThe best one out of the 3 that I got
It’s been awhile but if “Scott” is still the park ranger there…he is a good dude and has a ton of “on the ground” knowledge

Drawn it 3 times back in early 2000’s before they sold off the east end. Loved it. Hunted 1st season twice, 2nd once. Was successful all 3 times. I know there isn’t that many people hunting it but use them to ur advantage. Most of the other hunters hunt the lower elevations and flats, there are some nice drainages that the elk head up to escape. Be the first one there, haul ass up on top, find an over watch and sit and glass at daybreak. U will see the herds heading up, then just move in to get a shot. View attachment 241729The best one out of the 3 that I got
It’s been awhile but if “Scott” is still the park ranger there…he is a good dude and has a ton of “on the ground” knowledge

Wow, that's a great bull!

Thanks for the response! Sounds like a positive experience, so happy to hear that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back