Caribou Gear

Meat band saw?

Butcher

Hey guys wondered if anyone had any input on if you could use a wood band saw for cutting meat? Maybe finer teeth? Just thinking of something that woukd save time cutting rear quarters into bone in steaks.
I thought if I froze the hindquarters and used a band saw? Maybe its a bad idea lol we shoot a ton of deer every year and anything to help is a huge benefit!

I had a home meat saw grinder combo and it was a pain in the butt to clean and sanitize. Unless you are getting a stainless commercial unit that is designed to be hosed down I wouldn’t waste my time especially for deer.

I sold mine and have no interest in ever getting another. If I was bone in anything I just use a hand saw.

I have done it and it works but cleanup takes ten times as long as the actual work. I wouldn't do it again. You might consider taking it to a processor and have them saw it for you shouldn't cost more than about $20 per quarter if you take it skinned and cleaned.

Pro Tip: borrow a band saw from your brother in law or someone you no longer want to be friends with and return when finished.

Technically, it will work, but the cleanup would probably not be worth it.
When I first started working at a grocery store one of my early morning chores was cleaning of the meat cutting room. Ugh the meat saw was one of the worst things, especially after they cut slices of frozen liver. It looked like chocolate pudding. o_O The clean-up using hot water with high pressure wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
Pro Tip: borrow a band saw from your brother in law or someone you no longer want to be friends with and return when finished.
I have 3 brother in laws, so I have 3 years worth if I play it right.

A friend tried this in college. Apparently he wound up with a stripe of shredded meat one the floor, up the wall, and to the ceiling. It was enough of a mess that he still laughs about it fifty years later.

If you are committed to the “leg steak” I would think about using a sawzall with one of those long carbide demolition blades. You could probably throw the blade in the dishwasher and the sawzall would clean up pretty quickly. I’ve used a handsaw on shanks for osso buco style cuts and it is pretty time consuming.

If you mount a left front wheel hub from a 65 comet under a heavy steel table and a second wheel hub above the table, run a pulley on the lower with a belt to a 5 horse motor. And a meat saw blade between the two wheel hubs, it will chop up every thing you want.

That was the system my father engineered when we were growing up.

Now I bone out everything.

I cut a hide on elk hoof and foreleg in half with a cordless circular saw for my dogs before I left town. I didn’t clean it after. Just tossed it in the warm shop. I now wonder what I’ll be coming home to.

Hey guys wondered if anyone had any input on if you could use a wood band saw for cutting meat? Maybe finer teeth? Just thinking of something that woukd save time cutting rear quarters into bone in steaks.
I thought if I froze the hindquarters and used a band saw? Maybe its a bad idea lol we shoot a ton of deer every year and anything to help is a huge benefit!
Do it all the time. The lower speed settings are better to avoid the “spray” . Also the colder the meat the better. Almost frozen is perfect. We never intended to try it but when you’ve got 24 quarters of elk staring at you to get cut up…you get inspired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back