Meat and Dri Ice

Rooster52

We found packing meat in our vacumm packer ,putting it in our 6 day coleman cooler and placing dri ice on it will freeze the meat and keeps for days.
I always thought Dri Ice would only keep meat cold but it actually froze ours,not like a freezer but still froze it .

I think freezer burn is always an issue with it too. Eastmans did a real good section on their show about packing with dry ice. I don't remember all the details, but it should not be next to the meat.

No I do not put it next to the meat .Always put a towel or light blanket between meat and Ice.

I've mentioned this before in other posts, but I'm a fan of dry ice. If you do it right, and be JUDICIOUS with its use, you'll be fine.

I getting hunt pigs a couple times per year in Florida. If you clean and wrap the meat in freezer paper, then put a layer of newsprint or bath towel over it, then some dry ice on top, it freezes the meat and keeps it frozen or really cold for several days. More than enough time to make the trip to Minnesota.

I've done this for several years now and never once had freezer burn. Ever. 5-10 lbs of dry ice is all you need. If you don't go crazy with it, or let the dry ice touch the meat, it works great. Just keep the lid closed.

Emrah

Back