Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Maybe some good news? Proposed BLM land purchase on the Musselshell River

It says RMEF facilitated the purchase. Did they use capital or were they just involved in negotiations or starting the conversation?
Both, from what I understand. I'm no longer on the Board, so I wasn't involved in the project approval as I would have been while on the Board.

I watched hundreds of elk on that ground last season. It would be a great purchase but the BLM would need to continue to operate the irrigation pivots to fully utilize its potential. I'm sure the elk will get pressured out, but last year it was a sanctuary for them. Here is a picture.IMG_0777.jpeg

When submitting your comments, consider mentioning other resource issues BLM should consider during the analysis of the acquisition. For example, travel management of existing roads. Livestock grazing management. The BLM's process for analyzing the impacts of acquiring new land is not just to inform the decision maker on whether or not to acquire the land. It also provides an opportunity to analyze impacts from different management alternatives if the land is acquired. No grazing vs. reduced grazing vs. current grazing OR X miles of existing road designated as open vs X miles closed.

I watched hundreds of elk on that ground last season. It would be a great purchase but the BLM would need to continue to operate the irrigation pivots to fully utilize its potential. I'm sure the elk will get pressured out, but last year it was a sanctuary for them. Here is a picture.View attachment 176151
Pretty close to more than half the objective number of elk for the entire unit 700 in that herd.

Consider that when you hear “over objective” used by FWP or ranchers.

When submitting your comments, consider mentioning other resource issues BLM should consider during the analysis of the acquisition. For example, travel management of existing roads. Livestock grazing management. The BLM's process for analyzing the impacts of acquiring new land is not just to inform the decision maker on whether or not to acquire the land. It also provides an opportunity to analyze impacts from different management alternatives if the land is acquired. No grazing vs. reduced grazing vs. current grazing OR X miles of existing road designated as open vs X miles closed.
I suspect the current status quo for grazing and access (none?) would work if the elk herd is that large now.

I hope if it this goes through they dont just open up blm roads all over the "new BLM" including the area that is currently landlocked.
The roads are pretty much in place. No need to add more. The issue will be the land is managed for elk and deer with cattle ranching being secondary (IMO). That’s why the elk are there. It will need to be managed this way by the BLM. I don’t really know if they do that.

This will be an interesting transaction to watch. Petroleum cTy being against the transaction is a joke. They lose $420 in tax revenue which is about $1 per county resident. The town of Winnett survives off of hunters coming through each year. It’s the definition of cutting off your note to spite your face.

This story popped up on my FB feed yesterday and I couldn’t believe the number of “the govt shouldn’t own land comments” associated with the article. I hope everyone takes a minute or two and voices their support.

Comments are due on March 31 to help support this.

This project hits pretty close to home and I’m thrilled to see it move forward. The land the BLM would be acquiring is my original family homestead and our family cemetery still sits there. A few years ago when the BLM requested help from the public identifying parcels of landlocked public land, I wrote in and highlighted the area that this purchase would open up.

The land has been out of our family for a few decades now but we have been lucky to host many family gatherings in the area maintaining the cemetery and what not. We brought my Grandpa up to the homestead one last time in August before he passed this Fall.

Attachments

• 472FE550-9778-4794-9B48-BE5A2766E43E.jpeg
    472FE550-9778-4794-9B48-BE5A2766E43E.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 8239DD9A-8E9A-493F-8062-1CF172A77D5C.jpeg
    8239DD9A-8E9A-493F-8062-1CF172A77D5C.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 73
  • AF17935D-E2EB-4EC0-8678-A91FFA193AFE.jpeg
    AF17935D-E2EB-4EC0-8678-A91FFA193AFE.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 73
Wicked cool @Schaaf

Do you know what year it was homesteaded?

Do you know if there are plans to restore the homestead site? Or is this preservation in current condition?

Last edited:
It’s crazy how there were 18 comment submissions to the BLM site when this discussion started over a week ago, and now there are a whopping 25.

Wicked cool @Schaaf

Do you know what year it was homesteaded?

Do you know if there are plans to restore the homestead site? Or is this preservation in current condition?
It was homesteaded in 1900 By my Grandpa's Grandpa William Coon that passed in 1934. Williams Dad (William T) came and homesteaded just south of him a few years later at 84. At that time the county seat was Glendive and he had to ride his horse back and forth a few times before finally getting a claim that wasn’t spoken for.

I don’t know if any plans for restoration but I haven’t read the entire proposal yet either so it could be included in one of the alternatives.

Thanks for bringing this up, sent in comments in favor of the proposal!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back