Mauser build, with slight twist...

std7mag

Well, the large ring Mauser i bought for $65 needs some real attention.
Note, wife was fine with me buying a rifle for $65.
Stock and barrel were shot, so to speak.

I decided to keep it "Mausery", and rebarrel to 7X57 Mauser.
Removed barrel. Borrowed friends lathe to square receiver face, bolt face.
Ground off reloading lug. Polished bolt raceways, lapped lugs.
I got a Timney trigger without safety.
Also a Dakota 3 position safety.

Special thanks to Assawomansmith!
Who helped me find an aluminium "floorplate".
Trigger guard, bottom metal, hinged floorplate.

Now the twist...

Wife found out about me ordering the new E.R. Shaw barrel. Told her about the build.
And plan on purchasing a new stock also.
"What happened to the $65 rifle?!"
Ummm, Honey, I'm building it for our daughter....

So now i'm building a Mauser for my daughter. Lol
Other than stock the build isn't going to change.

And i still get to shoot it.

I have a german 98 sitting in the safe now the been "sportizered" ( still has the 8mm barrel, has been drilled and tapped, 3 position safety, and boyds stock) that I bought at an auction(local auction house but I bought it online) on my daughters due date, that I'm going to rebarrel for her first rifle. Shes 14 months old tomorrow so I have a little time to decide what cartridge it will be re done in but when I bring it up my wife reminds me its my daughters not mine.
Glad to hear you were able to find the aluminum trigger-guard.

Good call! I've used that one and it works.
Well it's not just some cockamamie excuse.
True i was looking to get out of some tepid waters...
But my wife called my daughter to break the "good news" to her.. So she does indeed know that dad is building a rifle for her.
Stock has probably changed from the planned Boyds Prairie Hunter to a Boyds ATOne.
"Are you gonna do the stock in purple, dad???"..
Egads....

I have a german 98 sitting in the safe now the been "sportizered" ( still has the 8mm barrel, has been drilled and tapped, 3 position safety, and boyds stock) that I bought at an auction(local auction house but I bought it online) on my daughters due date, that I'm going to rebarrel for her first rifle. Shes 14 months old tomorrow so I have a little time to decide what cartridge it will be re done in but when I bring it up my wife reminds me its my daughters not mine.
Glad to hear you were able to find the aluminum trigger-guard.
I decided on the 7X57 Mauser because of PA's laws concerning elk hunting (IF we ever get drawn).
Minimum caliber is 0.277". So the 257 Roberts is out.
That being said, i would HIGHLY recommend the 257 Roberts!
I have a Ruger 77 MKII in the Roberts. Shooting everything from 75gr to 120gr bullets. My daughter really likes it too.

I decided on the 7X57 Mauser because of PA's laws concerning elk hunting (IF we ever get drawn).
Minimum caliber is 0.277". So the 257 Roberts is out.
That being said, i would HIGHLY recommend the 257 Roberts!
I have a Ruger 77 MKII in the Roberts. Shooting everything from 75gr to 120gr bullets. My daughter really likes it too.
I have a 95 mauser on my bench now that I just chambered to 257 roberts I have to finish the stock yet for it but its a personal project so it comes last. Ive been considering a 7-08 or a 6.5x55(one of my favorites) for my daughters rifle.

While a sweet round of it's own, it still wouldn't be a Mauser cartridge.

Remser?? Mausington???
Lol

Oh how i love my wife & daughter...

Daughter came over today. Wife had me tell her what i was doing for "her" rifle build(being my daughters).
Showed her what i had done so far.
She asked about stocks.
I was pointing out the Walnut AT One stock.
Wife asked about the "purple one".
I explained i was building a hunting rifle.

Well for "my" fathers day present, my wife ordered the purple AT One stock, " so i didn't have to".

Some days i just can't win....

Oh how i love my wife & daughter...

Daughter came over today. Wife had me tell her what i was doing for "her" rifle build(being my daughters).
Showed her what i had done so far.
She asked about stocks.
I was pointing out the Walnut AT One stock.
Wife asked about the "purple one".
I explained i was building a hunting rifle.

Well for "my" fathers day present, my wife ordered the purple AT One stock, " so i didn't have to".

Some days i just can't win....
Have you had any experience with one? I was sure happy I got to see one before ordering one to try it, very square corners, I know I can be a stock snob but it felt like a 2x4

Yes, she actually called on Monday per my suggestion.
She ordered the upgraded palm swell, and the adjustable butt pad. The one that you can offset left & right.
The upgraded palmswell makes a HUGE difference.

And i ordered an EGW one piece 0MOA base, Vortex Viper low rings, and a Sightron SIH 3-9X40 with the MOA 2 reticle.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back