Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Match primers for hunting loads?

I am stunned! :)
Don’t be. Extreme spreads over 30fps over 5-10 shot groups are not uncommon from non-match loads. Single-digit standard deviations are not the norm unless special care is taken in loading. The idea that ONE LOT of 210s might yield a 5-shot SD 30fps higher than one 5-shot from ONE LOT of 210Ms should not surprise anyone. It could be an actual difference(that is extremely minor) between TWO PARTICULAR LOTS of primers, OR it could be nothing more than a very poor examination of probability and statistics.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, because I haven’t tested it(or even shot 210’s) but this does not jive with commonly held held beliefs regarding Federal primers. According to MANY reports, the 210 and 210M are the same compound on the same paper. The SUPPOSED only difference is the actual employee making the primers. The primers made by experienced and skilled employees get labeled 210M. Apparently doing the job sloppily can yield acceptable, but less than ideal results, and taking care to do the job properly and/or developing some specific skill, can yield much more consistent results.

That’s the general consensus from those “in the know”. It’s entirely possible for that to be correct and YOUR batches of 210’s to yield a different velocity than 210M’s. It’s also possible that those “in the know” are wrong and/or full of crap.

That said, I only worry about changing primers on a load causing a safety issue if I know I’m changing from a very hard cup to a very soft cup. Usually pressure differences are minimal, but how much pressure. Axis can take is worth noting. My first pierced primers resulted from a load developed with zero pressure signs using CCI primers(one of the hardest) and substituting Winchesters(one of the softest).
Just based on my personal test over the last 20 years. I have loaded tens of thousands of large rifle cases.

Just based on my personal test over the last 20 years. I have loaded tens of thousands of large rifle cases.
And you chrono’d them all and 210s have always been consistently 30fps faster? I’ve never tested it, and I don’t shoot 210s. It would not surprise me in the least if ONE LOT of 210s averaged 30fps faster than ONE LOT of 210Ms, but I would strike me as odd if that was consistent across all lots.

And you chrono’d them all and 210s have always been consistently 30fps faster? I’ve never tested it, and I don’t shoot 210s. It would not surprise me in the least if ONE LOT of 210s averaged 30fps faster than ONE LOT of 210Ms, but I would strike me as odd if that was consistent across all lots.
I'll test a load this week and post results. I have Chronyed them in the past. We're up to 30' faster.

I did some messing around with the regular and match Federal primers some years ago. 205, 210 and 215. I didn't see any evidence in the cartridges I was loading that the match primer was an advantage. So, I have a good supply of regular Federal primers for everything I shoot, and don't have to worry and search everywhere for the M's. mtmuley

Back