Match primers for hunting loads?

Right now I had to take whatever I can find in large rifle primers. No exaggeration when I say there are no blue box Federal large rifle primers anywhere in Canada. One Ontario store had a few boxes Gold Medal primers with a limit of two hundred per customer but there was a problem with their shipper delivering to my city (shipper lost their license here due to sloppy handoff of mail-order rifles being dumped on doorsteps). These primers are coming from Vancouver via Purolator = +$$. Curiously, that store had no limit on customer purchases. A hundred probably would do me and I know I could have paid for the shipping if I'd ordered more and sold them here but that might keep someone else from hunting/shooting. I'm not playing the hoarding black market game.

Back in the good ole days.... :D
I've shot a LOT of CCI primers, of every flavor.
Still have some. Along with Fed blue box, Fed Match & some Remington.
I haven't seen a Federal primer of any sort in the last 18 months for sale locally. (Central PA.)
Remington are starting to show up here & there, along with some CCI.
And those being sold by the pack of 100, limit 2 packs for $10 each.

Even the distributor/wholesaler locally to me is "out".

But to answer the OP's question, yes the Fed 210M primer will work down to at least 18°f.

Why wouldn't they. Any primer's job is to start the powder burning. Any primer that will do that will work. Some loads, for whatever reason, like one primer better than other's, not a clue why. I have lot's of primer's and the ones I find in my best loads are very old Herter primers, go figure! But when changing primer I always back the load up a bit. I change any part of the load and I start over with it. Thing called pressure which I have no way of measuring. I doubt changing a primer with out starting over will blow up a rifle by itself but not willing to experiment with it and find out I might be wrong either.

Good chance those were RWS. If not, still likely European.

Primers have a very minimal effect on pressure. In terms of a blowing a gun up, a primer change won’t do it. However, some primers have harder cups than others. If you have a load that was just barely showing pressure signs with a Federal or CCI primer, and switched to a Winchester, you would likely pierce the Winchester primer. The pressure will be almost the same, but Winchester primers will pierce at pressures that Lapua brass and Federal primers can handle with no visible pressure signs.

For the most part probably like the difference between match and select match barrels that Ed Shilen took advantage of. Most shooters likely couldn't tell the difference.

Two hundred of these primers are on the way. Cost = $102.00 @ $14.99 per each tray of 100 + tax + hazardous shipping via courier @ $68. Ugh! These are certainly hard times. But at least I'll now have enough primers to get my remodeled war horse zeroed in again and some long range practice to shoot African Barbary sheep in August.
I hope those were per box of 1,000 and not per tray of 100. If so, that’s steep…

Remember the olden days, way back when primers cost $4.50 for 100?

Anyway, yes, they will work fine.
Remember the olden days when there were actually primers on the shelves of stores? Last fall the ammo and components situation in Montana was MUCH worse than here. And I live in the sticks relatively speaking. Essentially all the stuff on the shelves here was made in the US.

Last edited:
I use them in every load that matters. Benchrest loads, prs loads and hunting loads. You should see about 30fps more with with. F210m vs F210.

I use them in every load that matters. Benchrest loads, prs loads and hunting loads. You should see about 30fps more with with. F210m vs F210.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, because I haven’t tested it(or even shot 210’s) but this does not jive with commonly held held beliefs regarding Federal primers. According to MANY reports, the 210 and 210M are the same compound on the same paper. The SUPPOSED only difference is the actual employee making the primers. The primers made by experienced and skilled employees get labeled 210M. Apparently doing the job sloppily can yield acceptable, but less than ideal results, and taking care to do the job properly and/or developing some specific skill, can yield much more consistent results.

That’s the general consensus from those “in the know”. It’s entirely possible for that to be correct and YOUR batches of 210’s to yield a different velocity than 210M’s. It’s also possible that those “in the know” are wrong and/or full of crap.

That said, I only worry about changing primers on a load causing a safety issue if I know I’m changing from a very hard cup to a very soft cup. Usually pressure differences are minimal, but how much pressure. Axis can take is worth noting. My first pierced primers resulted from a load developed with zero pressure signs using CCI primers(one of the hardest) and substituting Winchesters(one of the softest).

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back