Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Maryland Man Pleads to Illegal Outfitting

Nemont

I have been watching this case with alot of interest since this guy was arrested. Like the story says he was a common game thief.
I am from Dodson and Malta area and my parents still live in Dodson. This just really, really makes me angry. :mad:

Region 6, 54078 US Highway 2 West, Glasgow, MT 59230

Contact: Andrew McKean, Information Officer ( (406) 228-3723 * [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 23, 2007

Maryland man convicted for illegal outfitting in Phillips County

A Maryland man has pleaded guilty to illegal outfitting and numerous other violations after a Fish, Wildlife & Parks investigation revealed extensive wildlife crimes last fall in Phillips County.

Joe Boyd Austin of Mardella Springs, Maryland accepted a plea agreement this month in Phillips County Justice Court in which he pleaded guilty to five counts of acting as an outfitter/guide without a license, four counts of wasting waterfowl and upland birds, four counts of unlawful possession of illegally taken wildlife and other counts of hunting without a license, loaning big-game licenses and even killing a protected shorebird.

Austin is required to pay restitution and other charges totaling $10,000 for the various offenses. Another $3,485 of restitution will be used to reimburse Fish, Wildlife & Parks for the costs of last year’s investigation that resulted in the charges.

The joint overt and covert investigation revealed that Austin, who is not a licensed outfitter in this state, was advertising via the Internet for guided hunting trips in Montana. His business, DOA Outfitters, informed prospective clients that he specialized in Montana hunting trips for waterfowl and other species. In October 2006, Austin guided two undercover investigators on waterfowl, pheasant and antelope hunts around the Malta and Dodson areas.

The hunting activity occurred on FWP-managed Wildlife Management Areas, Block Management areas, state school-trust land, BLM land and private land. While hunting and outfitting illegally, Austin took over-limits of waterfowl, hunted pheasants without a license, wasted edible portions of all birds, hunted antelope without a license and transported all illegally taken wildlife to his place of operation, a bed-and-breakfast outside Dodson.

In addition to the restitution paid to Montana, Austin has been ordered by the court to not own, possess or be in control of any firearms, ammunition, bow and arrow or fishing equipment while he is in Montana. He is required to stay at least 500 feet away from anyone engaged in hunting or fishing in Montana. He is also required to change all advertisements and web pages that refer to providing hunting opportunities and outfitting services in Montana.

“He’s a common thief,” says Malta game warden Mike Lee. “He was stealing business from legitimate outfitters and stealing the resources from the sportsmen of Montana. This case illustrates the lengths that people will go to exploit and profit from the natural resources of the state, and the sad thing is that he apparently didn’t have any lack of customers who were looking for a shortcut to access the state’s wildlife. Prospective clients are responsible for knowing if their guide is licensed and if they adhere to fish and game regulations.”

For every one caught, there's another 10 doing the same thing. I see where bed and breakfasts seem to be in the thick of illegal outfitting operations.
I'm glad they racked this fuggin som berch.

Back