Marsupial Gear Bino Harness... I like it

bowhuntmontana

Just wanted to share about a piece of gear I have been pretty happy with thus far. It seems like I have been on the hunt for a bino harness that I could really like. For several years, I just ran the good old elastic Crooked Horn harness along with a rubber rain guard cap for my ocular lenses. I got tired of them bumping around, did some research and got an FHF Harness. I ran it for two seasons and liked a lot of things about it, but there were a few things I didn’t like, so I went back to the old elastic harness and the search continued.

Another forum member mentioned Marsupial Gear, so I checked the site https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/all/products/binocular-pack . It looked good. The quality looked good, and I liked that it was a small operation. I ordered one. Upon handling it, I could see the quality is top notch. Great sewing and really nice buckles and other components. I have had it out on an elk hunt and some spotting and hiking trips, so I thought I would share.

It is a lot like the FHF, but different in a few ways that I am liking. It folds from the top forward. It has magnets in the flap that connect to some on the back side of the top of the harness and another set on the bottom of the harness. So, you can flip the flap up to close it. And, you can fold it down and it stays in place. I was surprised that you can make that closure as quiet as you want, depending on how gently you close it. 90% of the time I am not worried about noise, so when I put my glasses back in the harness, I just flip of the flap, and it is closed. Pretty slick.

I really like that it folds down and stays open. If I am in a position or a stalk, where I want to use my glasses a lot, it is nice that the case stays open and doesn’t flap around. That was one of the very few drawbacks I experienced with my FHF, and it actually led to me glassing less in heavy cover. The case of the Marsupial Gear fits snug on my glasses, so even with the lid open they aren’t bouncing around at all and I am not worried they will slip out with the lid down, as long as I am not doing handstands or something. Lid closed, and everything is very secure. It ain’t coming open unless I open it. Also, with it folding forward, I find there is less noise pulling my binos out, because the flap or lid is completely out of the way.

Another plus for me is easy, one-handed operation. There is a little tab on the top that you can use to pull open the flap. Then grab your binos with the other hand while the lid is securely out of the way, held in place by the magnets on the bottom of the case connecting with those on the flap. Works great for me.

It has some basic side pockets and a small front zipper pocket. They are small, sort of like FHF, so if you like your bino harness to be a mini front pack like the AGC, this one might not work for you. But there is room for a wind checker, diaphragm calls, tags, a small knife, things like that.

One other note, Jim, the owner, has great customer service. I initially ordered a medium. Once I got it, I realized my glasses would do better in a small. I emailed him to see if I could exchange it. He said, no problem, just send him the tracking number when you ship it and he would send the right size. Worked slick.

At any rate, it is a good piece of gear. And so far, I am not finding anything I don’t like about it. Thought I would share in case anyone else was in a similar spot.

Yeppers, it'll be my 4th and hopefully last bino pouch. The fhf lid is my only complaint with that brand and marsupial looks like they fixed it.

Another plus one for this harness. Received mine a few days ago and quality is top notch. I also ordered the rangefinder pouch and its very to have on the side of the binos.

I noticed the sides are not totally enclosed. Have you had any issues with debris getting into the case?

I've watched that on this year's hunts with the harness. No issues with debris. I think if you hard hard snow or rain coming sideways, you might get a little of that in there. I hunted in light rain to heavy snow, just not sideways. Kept my binos clean and dry. FHF has the same gap, but AGC, or Kuiu or Badlands have more of a fully enclosed type option, but you lose the other good features of the Marsupial.

I ran that case this year as well loved it. I didn't seem to get any debris in either.

Last edited:
One great thing about the Marsupial is, even if you get a little debris in it, the material inside the pouch is very easy to clean out and doesn't latch onto the debris. I had a Kuiu harness for a couple years and any debris seemed to want to stay in there. I've left the Marsupial open quite a bit and got a few pine needles and even some poptart crumbs in it. I just took my binos out and brushed it off with my fingers; no big deal. The Kuiu one I couldn't get cleaned out even with a handheld vacuum. Not that I didn't love my Kuiu one apart from that, because they're good too.

Another vote for it. I really like my Marsupial harness. I tried a number of others and just prefer this one.

This harness has caught my eye a number of times, so I'm glad to see there are quiet a few satisfied users. I haven't been able to locate a weight spec anywhere online. Have any of you weighed your harness?

This harness has caught my eye a number of times, so I'm glad to see there are quiet a few satisfied users. I haven't been able to locate a weight spec anywhere online. Have any of you weighed your harness?

Gohunt.com sells them and has the weight specs for each size.

I'm also looking at this harness. I currently have the Badlands one, but Ive been looking for one that has a zip and stretch pockets to keep calls and wind checker. Plus, marsupial looks like they have a pretty good range finder holster for a good price too. You can get both for the less than the price of just the bino harness from other manufacturers.... Just some of my observations. I'll probably be pulling the trigger soon.

I just returned the Badlands mag because of the loud clicking noise when you closed the lid. I am all about quiet, what material is this marsupial made of? I have been looking for a good quiet bino case for a while and just haven't found one.
Thanks,
John

It has magnetic closures as well, but I haven't noticed much for noise. The magnets are on the underside of the lid and the back of the top of the bino pouch. Something about that design seems to prevent it from really slapping together. Most of the time I control the close, but even when I just flip the lid up and allow the magnets the manage the close, it still isn't loud. Some noise, but not much.

The other magnets are on the bottom of the pouch to hold the lid down and open. No noise at all for me with those ones.

They'll snap a bit on occasion but it's a non issue for me. The marsupial appears to be my final bino harness purchase. I really like it and it's a true one handed operation which was not the case for my badlands, kuiu, and fhf.

Looks like a nice bino harness..... Seems like the market is getting flooded by more and more people manufacturing these

This one looks nice, I am currently looking for one. I was leaning toward the kuiu one but this one is catching my eye!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back