Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Marlin 336CS 35 Rem for pronghorn?

M

MN Public Hunter

I'm in the process of planning my first trip to WY for pronghorn and I already have a Marlin in 35 Rem. I know it will shoot anything other rifles will, but my question is more about which ammo to use.

I read at the Federal cartridge site that I can shoot a 200 grain Power-Shok out to 200 yards with a 10 inch drop and 12 inch drift in wind and it will have 838 lbs of energy at that distance.

Is that acceptable for pronghorn or should I shoot 150 grain or something else?

Any hunting bullet out of a 35 Rem will be fine out to 200yds. If'n I was taking one after pronghorn (I'll be using a 30-30 some this year), I'd probably look at Hornady Leverulution ammo. Pronghorn are pretty slightly built critters. It doesn't take much (IMO) if the bullet goes where's its supposed to, but hit bad they can cover ALOT of ground.

Like pointer said, any bullet will have plenty of thump for pronghorn.
I also second trying they leverevolution ammo. None of my microgroove rifles liked it, but my ballard rifled 444 loves it. The numbers are definitely worth buying a box and trying it out.

Like pointer said, any bullet will have plenty of thump for pronghorn.
I also second trying they leverevolution ammo. None of my microgroove rifles liked it, but my ballard rifled 444 loves it. The numbers are definitely worth buying a box and trying it out.

What do you mean your micro grove did not like it?

Mine is a micro groove as well. If I'm reading the chart right, set up the rifle to shoot 3 inchs high @ 100 yards and at 200 it's only -1.3 low? How is that possible considering the Federal would be like 10 inch low.

http://www.hornady.com/store/35-Rem-200-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=39

Am I reading the charts correctly?

Thanks!

Any hunting bullet out of a 35 Rem will be fine out to 200yds. If'n I was taking one after pronghorn (I'll be using a 30-30 some this year), I'd probably look at Hornady Leverulution ammo. Pronghorn are pretty slightly built critters. It doesn't take much (IMO) if the bullet goes where's its supposed to, but hit bad they can cover ALOT of ground.

Thanks for the feedback...it does look like a better selection for 35.

The hornady ammo is loaded WAY hotter, take a look at starting velocity. The hornady chart also shows them sighted in a little higher at 100, though not much. The ballistic coeffecients of those two bullets are going to be WAY different too, with the tip on the hornady.

My microgroove gun wouldn't shoot the leverevolution stuff accurately, but I've read of some that do, so it's worth a try.

The hornady ammo is loaded WAY hotter, take a look at starting velocity. The hornady chart also shows them sighted in a little higher at 100, though not much. The ballistic coeffecients of those two bullets are going to be WAY different too, with the tip on the hornady.

My microgroove gun wouldn't shoot the leverevolution stuff accurately, but I've read of some that do, so it's worth a try.

I will for sure put a box through the old girl....

Hope it works for you.
If the rifle's scoped, you do your part, and that ammo shoots out of your gun, you could be good out to 350 or so. Which shouldn't hold you back any.

Yep, it's scoped, just a 4x though, but I think it will work. Now I just need some nice weather and some shells...

Back