Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Marlboro Ranch/Crazy Mountian Ranch

montanadogs

So I was talking with the boss (my wife) today on my trip to the Crazy Mountains this year. I told her how much I want to hunt the upper Rock Creek drainage on public land just behind the Marlboro ranch cabin, anyone ever have any issues with these guys?

Last edited:
My buddy ran their archery program for a few years. He had pics of monsters standing down by the buildings. He also stated security was in full force and meant business. Public land is public land, just don't expect them to lend you a hand.

Getting through the ranch can be a little confusing.I've been up Rock Creek a handful of times to climb some of the peaks.The trail head starts by going up a moderate hill and dropping down much further into the creek drainage where you have to walk on the ranch road for a bit before you regain the trail.All fine and dandy,but climbing that hill on the way out when you are tired is annoying.

Getting through the ranch can be a little confusing.I've been up Rock Creek a handful of times to climb some of the peaks.The trail head starts by going up a moderate hill and dropping down much further into the creek drainage where you have to walk on the ranch road for a bit before you regain the trail.All fine and dandy,but climbing that hill on the way out when you are tired is annoying.
It is about a 3 mile walk from the trailhead to get to the public. Be aware of inholdings - private land within the national forest boundaries that you can't trespass on.

Last edited:
A friend from out of state had a goat tag there, and hired Crazy Mtn. Outfitters. Apparently they told him the public couldn't legally access that drainage without paying an access fee. I told him to throw the BS flag but he didn't want to raise a fuss and went along anyway.

Moral of the story is if you run into them, just know where you are so you can keep them off your back. That should be a sweet area to get into, I've been considering for a while as well.

Thanks guys for your inputs. Still up in the air. Wife mentioned that I should just rent a helicopter and get dropped off up there. Then I wouldn't have to pack it out far if I did kill something. Not a bad idea. Never been on a helicopter before.

The nice thing about helicopters is the fact that they don't have to land to drop you off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back