Caribou Gear Tarp

Marias River WMA

Ben Long

Anyone any general thoughts about hunting the Marias River WMA? I drew for the first week. I've canoed there but not hunted it. Excited for something new. Basically, I'm planning on leaving my game cart at home and backpacking out the meat if I get lucky. Sound right?

I have the permit for the same week. I could see a game cart potentially being handy if you are accessing it from the central or East access points. I plan to be hunting as far from the access points as possible so no cart for me, but I will have my packraft.

Anyone any general thoughts about hunting the Marias River WMA? I drew for the first week. I've canoed there but not hunted it. Excited for something new. Basically, I'm planning on leaving my game cart at home and backpacking out the meat if I get lucky. Sound right?
That is what I would do. Keep an eye out for griz.

I've looked down into it quite a bit in the fall and it seems like if you're quite a ways from an access point @theat 's packraft would be the ticket. It looked too bony to canoe at that time of the the year.

Watch out for grizz, we ran into some in the draws on the west end.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

I have bumped into a couple grizzly in there. Not safe for anyone. On a sidetone, never point and yell "griz". Yellow labs jump out of boats and go looking for a blind retrieve. :)

Dangerous Country, still inhabited by the ghosts of the Marias River Massacre as well. Grizz & First People's hauntings. Best to just stay home.

Oh shxt. You guys got me all sceered now. I come to this site looking for friendly advice and I just get the bejeezus scare out of me. Heck with it. I'm staying home.
Go fishing. In Nebraska. No woofs or griz.

In all seriousness I'm quite jealous. Hope you both have a great time and throw some pics our way when it's done.

Good luck with your hunt--I'd be interested to hear how it goes. My buddy and I have the permit from November 7-15 and working through some of the same issues. And, he doesn't know I intend on stuffing his pack full of bacon before we set off each morning.

I seen em whit me own eyes. Dang near watched em eat a native indigenous member of the Blackfeet Nation. I shutter and have dreams.

Actually a true story behind this.

Last time I drew I was notified after season via email that they wanted to know how I did.

I have drawn twice for the first week of rifle. I can give my 2 cents by PM.

I too have heard the tales of the fearsome beasts of the Marias country. Just so you know what you're up against...

Back