Map to ram hunt March 30.

Tom

The blue HT is the general location of the hog and turkey archery only hunt after the ram hunt that Danr55 found. Turkey liscense is another $100 but hogs are covered on the $35 liscense that covers exotics too. The turkey season starts below the red line highway 90 on sat.March 30.

If the map doesn't appear here, photopoint is having trouble, see below.
View

I also put the map and the ram choice pictures at Snapfish, its at
http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3514176/t_=5265

E-mail me if you have trouble.

AP is airport in San Antonio. The red dots show how to drive from there to the ram hunt ranch, marked with a red X. For those coming from the west and north in a vehicle, the green dots show the roads from I10 and Sonora Texas south to the ram hunt ranch.

The brown M marks where the motel in the nearest town to the ranch is, this is also near where the restaurant and the nearest taxidermist is. Moosie suggested we eat at the restaurant on friday night.

#2 is the location for axis and fallow doe ranch, but we don't have any hunters confirmed on that and noone seems interested.

#3 is the location of the $180 hog hunt and maybe only danr55 is interested in that at the moment. If so, I'll just give you a cheap Motel 6 nearby number and the phone number to set it up before or after the ram hunt as you wish.

I'll post some more specific mileage and roads to the ranch in an edit later as we get closer. Also, there is a combination on the gate off of the blacktop road, we need to make sure we have that when we drive there or we won't be able to get in.

Kerrville to San Antonio is like 50 miles to give you a distance reading for the map.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-17-2001 09:25: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Tom, There was talk about a bunk house that we could use. What about toilet accomodations such as showers, etc. (Don't want Nut going too long with out a shower.) How many will it accomodate and who is going to stay there? Are there cooking facilities or do we need to bring stoves? How about electricity for coffee. I can eat cold food but I WILL NOT drink cold coffee. What's up with that?? If all else fails, what is the name and phone number of the motel??

I just can't live without my "COFFEE" ! And that's a fact!
Now what's the deal here, is there a gate with a specific sign on it next to the road, or will we need to call some one to meet us at the ranch entrance, or do we have a name for the ranch, or some way of identifying when we make it to the right place?

So shouldn't we have all the arrangements done by a certain date just so there will be no confusion once we get there? Like who will be staying in the A-frame and who is staying in the mobile home? Arrangements for showers,coffee,food,etc?(who brings what)
Who is flying in and at what time and can somebody pick them up?

March will be here quicker than we realize. :D

There is one A-frame type cabin that sleeps about 10 or 12, I think. It has a stove, refrigerator, indoor toilet and fireplace, but no showers. (A weekend won't be too bad, I hope). There is also a large mobile home that I didn't get a chance to checkout. (I think it has showers.) So hot coffee won't be a problem in either place.
The ranch entrance is pretty easy to find. You will need to get the combination, though...a small detail Moosie forgot last year! :D

We probably need to start ironing all that out! Don't you think? Only three months left now. I still have 13 military cots from when I was outfitting and I kept a fairly large outfitters wall tent that we could use, if we needed it. I also have a nice propane stove with two 45000 btu burners that we might use for grub or whatever. Also a real nice kerosene heater that would keep us warm if the place isn't heated. Just offering.

Some people know they are driving, some know they are flying, and there may be more car pools formed now that we have a full list and people know who is near them.

The A-frame has floor sleeping in the loft and the 3 bedroom house trailer with bunkbeds in each bedroom and living room has sleeping there. It has a bathroom, sort of. Both have refrigerators and stoves with ovens and kitchen sinks and electricity and water. Both have barbeque grills outside. I think we need to take our own coffee pots. We get housing for all of us at these places for our $180 hunt on friday and saturday night. Other nights, we are on our own. I can ask about the possibility of thursday night there also, but kind of think its asking a lot for the $180 and don't know what the answer will be.

Who is flying when? If by some miracle, everyone arrived within an hour or two of each other we could car pool from the San Antonio airport. I have a pickup that can hold a lot of gear in the bed and 2 in a crunch in the front with me. One rental car could take 4-6 people and minimize costs of travel to the ranch from the airport by those splitting it.

I can bring a few 10 cup coffee pots, perculators, if you bring a thermos, we can make enough ahead of time for everyone. Also, in Texas, you can take the thermos to the blind and drink if the wind is right and you're willing to risk it. Some blinds are up in the air and smell is less of an issue, but most are on the ground.

The a-frame and house trailer with bunks are sort of a cross between camping and staying in a room. Its a shelter, you bring a bedrole and food and take sponge baths. There's water, but theirs only one well at the ranch and it can't handle 20 showers a day.

Thompson usually assigns who is in what room for sleeping but we could try and figure this out ahead of time. I snore a lot, so I may end up in the back of my truck, unless we have a snoring room or by chance others are used to snoring hunters. Its good snoring, I've called in several hogs doing it.

The a-frame and house trailer are only about 150-200 yards apart, so we'll be pretty close, even if we're in separate buildings.

Yes, there is a sign on the road telling that this is where you go through the gate to get to the ranch. I just need to get the distances and specific directions as I don't remember them. We'll have this in plenty of time.

Working out the food is a good idea. I like Moosie's suggestion to go to the restaurant friday night. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Who is flying, who is driving, and who is looking for a ride? People have told me some of this but I haven't kept good track of it.

I'll be there on Thursday night, too, Jay...maybe we can meet up for dinner, drinks and maybe stay at the same motel and split a rental car. What time do you come in? I snore badly, too..so I may want to stay in the motel near the ranch, Tom. (plus that'll let me take my shower...I don't drink coffee and my shower is my wake-up.)

It doesnt really matter to me where I sleep,as long as it is not with the snorers lol.The restaurant dinner on friday sounds good to me and is a good idea.I am heading down to Texas on Fiday and am leaving on Sunday on an airplane.I am not sure of my flight as of yet but will soon. :D :D Do we have a finalized list of who is going on the hunt yet?Just so we know who al is going for sure.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-08-2001 09:29: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Calihunter... not sure exactly when I get in on Thursday, as I haven't formally made my res. yet. I think it's kind of late though... 9:30 maybe. Will certainly be up for a ****tail if it's past dinner time. I'm trying to arrange it with DS to have him meet me at in San Antonio and head to the ranch with he and Moosie. By the looks of it though, that would be about 100+ miles out of their way though... we'll see!

My dad and I are driving from So. IL. From the look of the list the only one that we can carpool with is Fred. We are going in an extended cab pickup so we have room for one more Fred OK
. We plan on leaving Wensday morning and arriving some time on Thursday, depending on how fast we drive and how often we stop.

Maybe we can all stay at the same motel on Thursday night?? That way we can have a place to meet and maybe get together for dinner and/or drinks.

I haven't talked to Jim lately (my buddy from Okla) but I am going to talk him out of driving his motorhome down. I will be flying into San Antonio on Thursday evening (I have yet to make the reservation). Seems there are a few guys flying/arriving Thursday night and as has been suggested we could stay at the same hotel and meet beforehand. We could then form a convoy to the lodge on Friday morning and all arrive (or get lost) together.

I'm not sure what everybody likes for accomodations but I am a member of the "priority club" for Holiday Inn's. If anybody would like I book a block of rooms and see what their rates are in doing so.

Seems to me that "somebody" needs to grab the bull by the horns and organize this entire event. If anybody wants or needs help in doing so I will glady volunteer. As of now it sure sounds like a real mess :D

I would "suggest" a questionare be made up, posted and everybody going fill it out and E-mail it to one person to sort it all out. At least that way the "organizers" can see what all the preferences are and determine the best course of action based on the responses.

Sound good to anybody?

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back