Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mamma and baby Bears...

mtnboy

Last week at dusk, I was out still hunting my way to a clearing in the mountains where I'd scouted some deer. The back road wound through a creek drainage, with thick alders and berries, where I'd found heavy black bear sign. As I rounded the corner I looked down the edge of the creek and a big black head was just poking through the grass coming up onto the road. I dropped to one knee and knocked an arrow.

The bear came up onto the road and then noticed me crouched 8 yards away. It stopped, tried to wind me and then started growling as it turned and ran about 10 yards and tried to wind me again, still growling. I moved to the edge of the road and drew. My heart slowed pounding and I got a better look at it - about 180 lb jet black, with a white V crest - too small to shoot, maybe a female. Just as I let down, I noticed a 40 lb cub 10 yards from me, between me and Mamma - hmmmmmm? Mamma studied me and woofed to her cub (I think that guy's been smoking something - he's dressed up like a tree, don't talk to strangers Junior!!!), he quickly ran to her side. They both then ran into the bushes. Cool way to start the night! [:D]

I'm satisfied that I kept my head and shorts clean in the moment. Black bears with cubs are not nearly as aggressive as the horror stories that you hear - they usually send their cubs up a tree and woof at the base or climb themselves, although bears can always be unpredictable. (Grizzlies with cubs ARE the horror!!) [
]

I did grow up with bears, eating my dad's garden in the back yard; but I've learned the most reading GARY SHELTON'S BOOKS on bear attacks and defense strategies. Anyone in bear country, especially hunters MUST READ these books. They're a rush to read and you'll learn a ton!!! Here's a link to his site: http://www.corp.direct.ca/cabc/

I'd rather be out there!!!
Mt^Boy...
http://community.webshots.com/album/16818120aAkhhVDzbl

We've Had Mommas come in Clicking their JAWS at us when their cubs are Eating from the Barrles.....

SCARRY YET FUN !!!!!!!!!!

Reason I posted about Ma & cubs, is that some southern deerhunter dipsh*t up on a guided (master) baiting hunt, shot a Momma in front of her cub, from his treestand because the cub was at his bait and she growled at him and he sh*t his pants. :(

I've been out damn near every day since the Sept. 1 opener I've seen eight different bears in the last week while out bow-hunting from the ground. Two were shooters one was about 230 and the other was over 300. I asked a guide that has taken hundreds of bears how to tell a big bear - he said "When you see one, boy, you won't need to ask ever again!!" I now know what he meant... :eek:
this big fella swaggered and growled as he stomped through the bush - definitely Master of HIS Domain!!

I circled around and got up on him to about 50 yards from him in deep brush, but he wouldn't come, even to my whiniest fawn in distress calls... I think his belly was full o' jam (part of me is kinda glad) but I hope we meet again... :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12 September 2001 22:27: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back