Maintaining Life

1oldcoyote

Outdoors men & women. Having a basic understanding of human anatomy(Airway, Breathing & Circulation). It is wise to review the importance/understanding on how too keep ourselves alive, let alone someone else. On the internet, anyone can find videos & or human anatomy charts. To assist us in maintaining Life.

IMO the most valuable of which are the ABC's/Airway, Breathing & Circulation.
1. How to maintain a victim's airway.
2. Arterial pressure points(To apply "direct" or "digital" pressure in order to control blood loss).

Outdoors men & women. Having a basic understanding of human anatomy(Airway, Breathing & Circulation). It is wise to review the importance/understanding on how too keep ourselves alive, let alone someone else. On the internet, anyone can find videos & or human anatomy charts. To assist us in maintaining Life.

IMO the most valuable of which are the ABC's/Airway, Breathing & Circulation.
1. How to maintain a victim's airway.
2. Arterial pressure points(To apply "direct" or "digital" pressure in order to control blood loss).
Good call, I think it’s worth everyone doing a basic first aid class and doing refreshers to stay current. Sometimes just a little bit of knowledge is the different between the ER and home.

Good call, I think it’s worth everyone doing a basic first aid class and doing refreshers to stay current. Sometimes just a little bit of knowledge is the different between the ER and home.
I believe it is not necessary to be all that knowledgeable, in order to save a life. The most basic of 1st aid can & does save lives. I've responded on many county 911 emergency calls. Whereas that area's county First Responders. No doubt saved lives.

+1 for Stop the Bleed. My wife is a general practice PA and has been building up her wilderness medicine knowledge as part of the mountain rescue team we're on. She's taken that course and highly recommends it.

One important note when it comes to Basic Life Support (BLS) and 1st Aid training:
Many if not most courses are taught from the perspective of giving first aid to someone who's within reach of normal EMS services. Don't get me wrong: that training is super valuable for everyone because we all spend most of our lives within reach of an ambulance, BUT...
For incidents in the wilderness, you definitely want to find a wilderness first aid class. There are many available, and the WFA and WFR courses from NOLS are the typical standards.

There are numerous books out there if someone can't do an in person class. Whether it's wilderness first aid or first aid in general and also picking up military handbooks. Almost all military branches have info on outdoors/first aid obviously geared more towards combat related wounds. My handbook I received at Paris Island has a bunch of generalized info for survival and treating injuries, life threatening or not. Always a good tool to have no matter what you are doing but especially if you're out in the mountains chasing game.

Strongly recommend the two-day Wilderness First Aid certification course available through REI/NOLS. Stop the Bleed felt pretty rudimentary but also not a terrible idea.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back