Maine Moose!

How far will you be traveling to get there and how do you plan to travel/transport your moose?

When I had a tag there, I researched camps/camping in the North Maine Woods and meat processors. We wound up renting a small cabin but we did stay one night at a North Maine Woods camping spot prior to the cabin opening up. One of my friends and I drove up from West Virginia and my brother and another friend flew in from Idaho and Washington. We got a couple days of scouting in before season. We did see more bulls than cows but we were there in September and most of the leaves were still on.

I got my bull the first thing opening day and we got it to he processor in time to have it cut/wrapped/frozen before the return trip home. So, if you aren’t coming from someplace where you can do the meat cutting back home, you need to figure in processing time.

We saw lots of road hunters, including some with elaborate towers in the backs of pickups. I asked the guy who was checking my moose in what the road hunters did as the season got closer to the end. His response was, “Drive faster!”

When I was there in 2009, cell service was very limited.

It is a neat area. Good luck!

How far will you be traveling to get there and how do you plan to travel/transport your moose?

When I had a tag there, I researched camps/camping in the North Maine Woods and meat processors. We wound up renting a small cabin but we did stay one night at a North Maine Woods camping spot prior to the cabin opening up. One of my friends and I drove up from West Virginia and my brother and another friend flew in from Idaho and Washington. We got a couple days of scouting in before season. We did see more bulls than cows but we were there in September and most of the leaves were still on.

I got my bull the first thing opening day and we got it to he processor in time to have it cut/wrapped/frozen before the return trip home. So, if you aren’t coming from someplace where you can do the meat cutting back home, you need to figure in processing time.

We saw lots of road hunters, including some with elaborate towers in the backs of pickups. I asked the guy who was checking my moose in what the road hunters did as the season got closer to the end. His response was, “Drive faster!”

When I was there in 2009, cell service was very limited.

It is a neat area. Good luck!
I will be driving 18 hours, pulling a box trailer tricked out as a camper. We will bring 3-4 very large coolers and prefer to process all our meat ourselves. Thank you for the reply!!!

You will need to research camping since a lot/most of the ground is private. There were only certain designated camp sites in the North Maine Woods and, in September, a lot of those were taken. It is quite a bit different from the hunting and camping on National Forest land that I am familiar with.

I do most of my hunt in the West so I know what you mean. I have already started looking into campsites. Thank you!

Congrats on the tag. Drew a bull tag in 4 back in 2014. It’s a big zone so picking a couple locations to start will help and having a plan for the meat is a must. Moose are big on the hoof and bigger on the ground. Good luck!

Congrats on the tag. Drew a bull tag in 4 back in 2014. It’s a big zone so picking a couple locations to start will help and having a plan for the meat is a must. Moose are big on the hoof and bigger on the ground. Good luck!
Thanks for the positive wishes!

I had a antlerless tag in unit 5 last year. Tagged out the first morning. We had a great time. We tent camped in the North Maine Woods it was cold but not unbearable. We drove 24hrs and I was able to bring the whole moose back in 3 very large coolers, but they were all packed to the brim. Send me a PM with any questions I’ll be happy to help you out.

Unit 4 is a great area, no problem getting getting into moose there and no reason to kill your self with an antlerless tag. You should be able to kill a cow in a location you can almost drive to. Camping isn’t a problem either

10 year Maine resident here. Unit 4 is a great unit. What season did you draw? Don't limit yourself to a particular find the clear cuts and hunt those areas. If you have questions or want advice let me know!

10 year Maine resident here. Unit 4 is a great unit. What season did you draw? Don't limit yourself to a particular find the clear cuts and hunt those areas. If you have questions or want advice let me know!
I have the Oct 28-Nov 2 season. Thank you for the advice, I may reach out to you at some point!

I Haven't been in Zone 4 in a few years, but i would start up in the northern part of the zone, always see more animals out there, shouldn't be too bad of a hunt. Congrats on the tag!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back