Maine Moose Lottery

Negative here blanked once more those odds are terrible up there it seems I have a better shot at a sheep tag.

10 yeas and nothing for me.They need to change the system to bonus points or preference points.Enough of this, buy as many chances as you have the spare money for.We should all be pushing for that change to their system.I'll apply another 10-15 years and then I'll be too old to handle the moose anyway.

I decided to book with a great outfitter in Newfoundland next year so this year was probably my last year applying in Maine. I do agree they should move to a bonus points squared type system to even the playing field a little more. I am no fan at all of preference point systems and don't apply in any state that has one. If it took me 31 years such as it did shadowtracker that is 3100 bucks as I buy myself and the wife a ten pack each year in Maine. That is why I booked newfie.

Last edited:
I decided to book with a great outfitter in Newfoundland next year so this year was probably my last year applying in Maine. I do agree they should move to a bonus points squared type system to even the playing field a little more. I am no fan at all of preference point systems and don't apply in any state that has one. If it took me 31 years such as it did shadowtracker that is 3100 bucks as I buy myself and the wife a ten pack each year in Maine. That is why I booked newfie.
Maine uses a weighted bonus points system where your points earn more chances in the draw the longer you have been "loyal" to the system. What throws it out of whack the most is the ability to purchase as many chances as you like regardless of how " loyal" you have been. Total money grab.

struck out in Maine. I look at Maine moose like I look at any lottery, it's super cheap and what a payoff if you win.

I totally agree not a bad system minus the buy all you can afford chances I am into the second tier on points like 7 now I think. I have known guys who pumped in a grand hoping to up the odds. I heard the odds for bull tags where like 1 in 700 but haven't seen stats to back that up.

I drew the first year I applied in 1997. Sat out until 2000 and have been applying ever since. Would like to draw it again to give my wife a shot at a bull.

Yeah same thing with me drew cow permit from #18 on alternate list in 2010 blind luck I guess those Maine woods are a sight to see in October I swear.

Anyone apply to the NH lottery. I started applying there this being my first year. Curious how everyone views those odds, or if I'm better off starting an account for the NF guided hunt.

I use to apply to all 3 northeast states but have stopped after drawing a Maine tag in 14. Moose are on the decline in NH but there are still a few around and someone will draw those tags. Newfie is on my list for another Moose hunt for sure. Definitely can be done reasonably speaking. Good luck either way

I've got 9 pts in NH Moose draw this year. Outfitters in NH say you have better odds in Maine. Same as previous comment about them being on the down side but if you miss a year in NH you go to zero so I'm in til I draw. I killed a moose in NFld going back next year. I thought NH would be a good hunt to take grandson on but I may be gone before that happens. Schools around here frown on more than 5 days off for things like that.

Doesn't help the cause permits were cut pretty significantly compared to recent years. Lowest I've seen. Hopefully they can make a comeback. Winter ticks have been pretty bad, apparently.

I struck out as well; been applying for around 8 years. Was an alternate last year but was way down in the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back