MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Maine moose lottery

$5300,you could have skipped the draw and went on Indian land guided for moose for that $$.In fact, I'm starting to think thats the cheapest way to hunt moose in Maine

I did find a hunt a year ago at some Indian Res. for $5500.They want most of your meat for the hunt.As far as the tag your talking about;no, I have no idea what it would go for
I'll keep entering Maine,but plan to add Idaho to that list next year.I'll have to look again.I do know the crazy money people spend on the auction tags

Maine has quite the scam going for NR tags . You can buy unlimited blocks of 10 chances at $55.00. Or just bid on tag for $25.00 nonrefundable

No question about this. I have been applying and putting in for points for 15 years. Nice how they stepped in and screwed us guys who waited over 10 years by peddling packs of 10 to newbies. In my 15 years of various state applications this was hands down the worst unethical point cheapening scheme devised.

Anything for money.

Come on Most Unethical!!!!

It is just a lottery, It never has been called or acted in any other way. The bonus points and multiple chances purchase option began in 1998. And I think the ability to get unlimited multiple chances started in 2004. So those putting in for 15 years have been playing with these issues since the beginning. Or long enough so that they applied more years with what they call a scam. If it was a real scam, then you would of stopped ten years ago. Or better yet, you have always applied with the ability to apply multiple times.

But if it is a scam, then look at your fellow hunter, he is the one scamming the system. I think a third of applications go to duplicate addresses. And over a hundred permits are issued to addresses with other tag winner. Again your fellow hunter.

It seems those who win are happy to brag how they scammed the system. And those who lose, are just upset their attempt to scam the system failed; So they claim the system is a scam because their attempt to scam it failed. Just look at the remarks here and some topics. Who's kids have points? Or how to use their wife's points. Or remarks about how many units of chances they purchased.

Zim you even applauded the MDIWF for them allowing you to change your application last minute because you won in NH. This is not written in the rules. So is this because Maine is hunter friendly or should we petition the state to disqualify and remove your points for running a scam on the lottery? I think its just hunter friendly, but others may just think its gaming the system.

It is just a lottery, each chance has the same odds. No PP system, which is clearly spelled out. In fact, if it was a PP system everybody would be complaining of point creep like in the western states.

So just apply and be happy at a chance, It really is quite simple. But when you apply know what it is you are applying for.

In fact, I do not think Maine has any law suits or criminal convictions on their lottery systems. Yet other states have had multiple civil and criminal actions. That should be enough proof that those other states should easily be classified as the most unethical.

Even this year they made it more forgiving, If you miss one year you do not lose all your points, you must miss two years in a row. I am sure you must see this a benefit because it is similiar what you did when changing your application before the drawing. Yet nobody mentions how hunter friendly this rule change was.

Last edited:
I began applying before they changed the rules to unlimited entries. I have applied for a total of 13 years with no luck. I only ever buy 1 set of chances. Thought the change was bs - really took away from the people who had been applying all along. But unfortunately in todays world money means everything.

It was not unfair to previous applicants, including those before 1998. Those who applied previous to 1998 were not getting any bonus points or preference for consecutive applications. The actual bonus points (the reward for previous applications) started with the opportunity for multiple but limited chance purchases. One cannot simply say I liked the bonus points because it gives me an edge, but hate the multiple purchases chances cause it helps others besides just me.

Both started in the same year, so this means the system did not change on you in 1998. Previous to 1998 there was no bonus chances. Previous to 1998, a newbie applicant single chance had the same odds as any applicant who had applied every year since the early 80's.

Last edited:
no pp in Maine but is 1 bonus point per year. 2010 was my first year to put in, no luck. Seems like I talked to fish and game last year and the odds were very bad. HELP !!!! I'm becoming addicted to hunt lottery's is there a 800 #.
Iv been putting in for years as a non res you have as much a chance as drawing a breaks sheep tag. Maine gives out roughly 3100 permits state wide. 10% go to non residents thats about 300 now 20 something thousand apply....you do the math.I think this year was more. Im leaving Sat for a bear hunt in northern Maine with my buddy who has family there. His uncle is a resident and drew for the first time after 32 years of trying.Dont hold your breath.....:cool:

It is just a lottery, It never has been called or acted in any other way. The bonus points and multiple chances purchase option began in 1998. And I think the ability to get unlimited multiple chances started in 2004. So those putting in for 15 years have been playing with these issues since the beginning. Or long enough so that they applied more years with what they call a scam. If it was a real scam, then you would of stopped ten years ago. Or better yet, you have always applied with the ability to apply multiple times.

But if it is a scam, then look at your fellow hunter, he is the one scamming the system. I think a third of applications go to duplicate addresses. And over a hundred permits are issued to addresses with other tag winner. Again your fellow hunter.

It seems those who win are happy to brag how they scammed the system. And those who lose, are just upset their attempt to scam the system failed; So they claim the system is a scam because their attempt to scam it failed. Just look at the remarks here and some topics. Who's kids have points? Or how to use their wife's points. Or remarks about how many units of chances they purchased.

Zim you even applauded the MDIWF for them allowing you to change your application last minute because you won in NH. This is not written in the rules. So is this because Maine is hunter friendly or should we petition the state to disqualify and remove your points for running a scam on the lottery? I think its just hunter friendly, but others may just think its gaming the system.

It is just a lottery, each chance has the same odds. No PP system, which is clearly spelled out. In fact, if it was a PP system everybody would be complaining of point creep like in the western states.

So just apply and be happy at a chance, It really is quite simple. But when you apply know what it is you are applying for.

In fact, I do not think Maine has any law suits or criminal convictions on their lottery systems. Yet other states have had multiple civil and criminal actions. That should be enough proof that those other states should easily be classified as the most unethical.

Even this year they made it more forgiving, If you miss one year you do not lose all your points, you must miss two years in a row. I am sure you must see this a benefit because it is similiar what you did when changing your application before the drawing. Yet nobody mentions how hunter friendly this rule change was.

ProudManiac.

Kindly view the following links:

http://www.georgesmithmaine.com/art...11/major-changes-maine-moose-lottery-endorsed

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maines-moose-lottery-Now-theyre-in-the-hunt.html

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/moose-lottery-odds-improve-for-non-winners_2012-01-30.html

http://www.wcsh6.com/video/1490154632001/1/New-system-for-Maine-moose-lottery

Apparently you know more than the legislators in Maine that finally, at least partially, fixed the abortion they created in 2004 with the unlimited 10 packs. And no, the 10 packs did not exist when I bought into the system in 1998. I was OK with the rules they had in place in 1998. What you mention about other states having lawsuits from degrading their lotteries is not true. These states know they have carte blanche to screw long time point buyers so most have chosen to do so, just not to the extent Maine did.

And the only reason I kept buying single points during the last 8 years was because I told myself this BS 10 pack crap was way too much of an unfair degradation to go unfixed for long. Surely someone would take notice. IT TOOK A WHILE........................BUT OBVIOUSLY I WAS RIGHT! As evidenced by this eventual legislative action!

Of the 12 states I have applied to during the last 15 years, all but two cheapened the points they sold. Of those, Maine's 10 packs were hands down the worst scam of all.

Odd thing. Of all the places, I drew zone C2 in New Hampshire. A guy that lives in my same exact town here in Illinois happened to be the driving force for legislative change in Maine! He lobbied to fix the scam for several years, before giving up and forfeiting his points when he moved here from ME/NH/NY. He actually drew NH zone C2 twice while there. Think of the odds of that, same where I drew! I stopped by his home to view his C2 bull. Sad he gave up one year too early and lost his points last year. Then they even extend the forfeit to 2 years! OMG. Was so odd standing there explaining to him why I held out.

BTW - In case you didn't see, I scored a nice bull in NH, and thanked them for the opportunity, which was made available to me after 14 years via an ethical lottery: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Moose_hunt/2012_moose_hunt_gallery.html

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back