Maine moose lottery

Dana

I put in for the Maine moose lottery today for the first time. I selected the Sept and Oct seasons, bull only, WMDs were all in the northern part of the state, and just paid for 1 set of 10 chances. From what I've been able to find through my research, it takes approximately 4-7 years to draw a tag. My question is, do any of you have any advice regarding entry strategies that have helped you in drawing? I'm curious how many sets of 10 chances are most people buying, or is this simply throwing money away and just be content waiting it out. I have a buddy who has hunted on of the northern WMDs successfully and I put him in as my subpermittee and vice versa. Thanks for any input!

That's the range of years it took to draw for the people I spoke to who had hunted there. What has your experience been?

no pp in Maine but is 1 bonus point per year. 2010 was my first year to put in, no luck. Seems like I talked to fish and game last year and the odds were very bad. HELP !!!! I'm becoming addicted to hunt lottery's is there a 800 #.

Here are some unofficial numbers 2010 -12,717 NR had 148,233 chances (11.3per) odds 1- 481. The good news is the number of permits is rising and the number of people applying is going down.

nylogger, man that's depressing... oh well ya cant win if ya dont play. Maybe we'll get lucky and get drawn. Thanks for posting up the numbers. I wondered how many chances others were buying. Appears to be similar to what I did.

It would be interesting to know what the statistics are for how many individuals are going crazy and buying a ton of sets of ten chances vs those going cheap and buying just one chance and hoping for lightning to strike.

Good luck to you in the drawing!

Maine has quite the scam going for NR tags . You can buy unlimited blocks of 10 chances at $55.00. Or just bid on tag for $25.00 nonrefundable

Last edited:
I hope you have more luck than I had...Last year was my last year of applying after 30 years, 12 years as a resident and the remainder as a non-resident....I am not bitter for not getting chosen, just decided to apply closer to home. (MT). I truely hope that you get chosen....

Your a VERY lucky guy to get picked in 4 years.I buy 30 chances a year,and add in my bonus points.I apply for Maine ,Vt. and NH.Don't plan to get drawn for many years yet,but you never know.there are more then a few guys who have drwn their first year

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking the people I talked with are a bunch of lucky suckers.... Maybe some of it rubbed off on me! Time will tell....

Oh, btw, Im also building points in the west and will start trying VT and NH per your suggestions....somewhere, someday I'll get to hunt a moose.

NH has the best odds of the 3.Vt. I think just reduced tags this year.And, everybody and their grandma put in for Maine,but someone has to get lucky

My buddy got drawn for Maine! WMD 2, October season, Bull tag. He put me down as his subpermittee, so it looks like I'll be moose hunting this fall! I am absolutely amazed! It was our first year putting in for this draw....Unbelievable!!

To clarify, it was MY first time and the guy who got drawn's first time entered. We had another partner in that has hunted ME before that also had me as his sub....too excited :)

Congrats!

Maybe i should start from scratch and would have better luck!

24 years worth of applying and counting...

Last edited:
Thats unreal!!!You guys should start putting in for sheep and goats with that kind of luck

2011 Maine moose hunt!

I have been applying for a Maine moose tag for 13 years, with no luck. I have bought multiple chances every year. This year I only purchased one chance just so I would not lose the points I have built up. A moose hunt this year did fit my schedule nor my budget as I have a coues deer hunt scheduled in December. As luck would have it, I drew a district 3 Bull tag. After my license, tag, plane ticket and hiring an outfitter, im in it for $5300.00 and have not left yet. I know guys that have applyed 25 years and still have not got a tag. Just hang in there and be posative, your number will come it when you dont need it too. Dont take me wrong, Im as happy as a first grader on recess.

Last edited:
That's the range of years it took to draw for the people I spoke to who had hunted there. What has your experience been?

I drew my first year! Luck I guess:confused: I have a few friends who have put in 20 years and not drawn a thing and I have one friend who has drawn 3 bull tags in 20 years. They all buy one chance or one set of ten. So it really isn't anything to help you get an advantage in my book it's all luck of the draw I feel......

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rcb2000
Back