Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Maine Moose Draw

I'm super excited for this hunt. My mom is from Northern Maine. I used to go to Maine every summer and visit my grandparents. I always wanted to do 2 things when we went and visited: go fishing and go look for moose. Because of this I grew to love Maine and going to visit. Maine moose was also the first place I ever started entering a draw to get a tag. The unit I drew is where we used to go look for moose.

When I found out I drew this tag I texted my buddy, Mark, to let him know of my success. Mark went moose hunting up in Maine last year. He purchased one of the few guide tags and took his dad up for a hunt. He's also been up there on a fall bear hunt both with the same guide. After he finished telling me that I was the luckiest person he knew he asked if I wanted him to reach out to his guide to see if he had any openings? I told him my plan was to go up there and hunt DIY. About 10 minutes later Mark sent me a message that said "Call me". Over the time Mark had spent hunting up in Maine he'd become good friends with this guide and even helped him build his new cabin. Even though I told him I was going to go diy he still reached out to the guide just to let him know. Because they're such good buddies and Mark and I are buddies I was offered the family/friend discount that was so cheap I felt like I couldn't say "no". This guide has been hunting this area his whole life.

So now with a real fear of completely damaging my Hunttalk reputation I am going to have a guide and a cabin to sleep in. I almost feel a little dirty, lol. I've never paid for a guide on a hunt where diy was an option. I'm going to do my best to hold out for a good bull and I still plan on doing everything myself (skinning, packing, butchering etc.). Since this is such a special tag I'm hoping some local knowledge will give me a bit of a leg up given that I drew the October season and I'm not sure how effective calling will be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back