Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Magnums have become irrelevant

Bigjay73

If bagging on magnums doesn't get some panties in a wad, I'm sure the comment on sniping elk from half a mile will🤣

A lot of "boutique" cartridges out there now.
We as men (in general) have issues with tinkering for the biggest and baddest... or newest rendition, often times just to tell our buddies: "Looky here what I have!"
No wonder we can't find ammo. The manufacterers are trying to keep up with the newest cartridge of the week!

Magnums have always been irrelevant for most of the big game species in North America exhibit A jack oconnor and his trusty 270….that reminds me, need to clean and check zero on my 300 rum

Petzal has been at it for a long time. Interesting that we both shot our first elk the same year. I had just turned nineteen and he would have been six or seven years older. It seems we can agree that the 30-06 is enough gun. I will disagree in that I feel it always was enough gun, even in the so-called crummy bullet era. I killed thirteen elk in thirteen years and only one gave much of a chase after being hit with 180 gr bullets. That was a foolish 320 yard shot straight downhill off a near cliff that clipped the spike's Achilles tendon. A magnum would not have been any more damaging (except maybe to me). I eventually got him but by the time it was all overwith three days later I very much wished I hadn't.

I would class Petzal as a "color commentator." Being colorful and semi-obnoxious is his "style." He's cultivating an audience that was raised on Jack O' Connor and Elmer Kieth. And they were cultivating audiences raised on Ruark and Hemingway. Reckless with their point of view and full of themselves. Personally, I find the other Field and Stream gun editor more appealing. Phil is less "flashy" but still knows how to make his writing interesting ... and with just enough humour to avoid being tacky. I can see a lot more thought process goes into what he writes ... and a lot less showmanship. I think both men's writing styles genuinely reflect their personalities (for Phil, I know it does as we have communicated personally quite a bit), and that I can appreciate. There are a few others on board that magazine who are genuinely ungenuine.

I can’t wait until the 6.5 CM ultra mag comes out. I’ll be able to hunt Caribou in Alaska from Nebraska………. I’m a poet and didn’t know it.

A lot of "boutique" cartridges out there now.
We as men (in general) have issues with tinkering for the biggest and baddest... or newest rendition, often times just to tell our buddies: "Looky here what I have!"
No wonder we can't find ammo. The manufacterers are trying to keep up with the newest cartridge of the week!
My thoughts exactly. Stick to the basics!

But as long as these hipster hunters chase all these new calibers like they do the latest iPhone model, its no wonder ammo supply is a mess right now

Petzal is a click bait boss. I like how 2/3 of his list of "modern" bullets that change the calculus are from the 1980's.

I recall him crapping on a pencil barrel rifle (either an 84m or a Fieldcraft, don't remember) because as he squeezed the forend and barrel, he thought the barrel was flexing. That's the stock partner.

Petzal is a click bait boss. I like how 2/3 of his list of "modern" bullets that change the calculus are from the 1980's.

I recall him crapping on a pencil barrel rifle (either an 84m or a Fieldcraft, don't remember) because as he squeezed the forend and barrel, he thought the barrel was flexing. That's the stock partner.
You don’t realize how strong he is…

Agreed. But if read as entertainment only, not as an actual source of information, he can be mildly entertaining at times.

At this point he’s like you super old drunk uncle at Thanksgiving dinner. He says some crazy chit, mostly inappropriate, but every once in a while he drops a good zinger. You secretly wish he’d just go away, but he is your grandma’s brother so you go pick him up and bring him to the family functions out of respect.

Back