Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Grizz attacks hunter in Montana

Absolutely brutal attack. Prayers for this man. I've thought more about deterrent placement in the last few years than ever before. I see lots of people with spray hooked to the back of their backpacks and I don't think it's much more than dead weight at that point. Things happen fast and carnage only takes a few seconds.

I did hear they found and shot the bear that killed a female hiker near West Yellowstone after receiving a call that it was in someone's kitchen.

I read about this on yahoo. It had the Go Fund Me description in the article. Sounds brutal.

The worst part was reading the comments to the article in yahoo. I would say over half the commenters were slamming the guy and saying something along the lines of that he deserved it because he was a hunter. Was surprised to see the ridiculous amount of anti-hunting sentiment among the comments.

The closure order is listed on the Custer Gallatin webpage. There may be additional MCA language posted on the sign board, but this federal order is USC and CFRs.

Here are some excerpts from the order:

"PROHIBITIONS
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551, 36 C.F.R. § 261.50 (a) and (b) the following acts are prohibited on the Bozeman Ranger District, Custer Gallatin National Forest, described below and shown on the attached map incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A.
Being on a trail. [36 C.F.R. § 261.55 (a)].
Being on a road. [36 C.F.R. § 261.54 (e)].
Being upon or in an area closed for public safety. [36 C.F.R. § 261. 53(e)]."

"PURPOSE The purpose of this order is for public safety and to prevent dangerous bear-human encounters due to a recent grizzly bear attack in the area."

I read about this on yahoo. It had the Go Fund Me description in the article. Sounds brutal.

The worst part was reading the comments to the article in yahoo. I would say over half the commenters were slamming the guy and saying something along the lines of that he deserved it because he was a hunter. Was surprised to see the ridiculous amount of anti-hunting sentiment among the comments.

The account of Rudy even being there had nothing to do with Rudy being a hunter. He rents ATVS and went to help hunters track a deer they had wounded.

The daughter’s account also said the bear ripped his lower jaw off. I don’t know to what extent that injury is, but to rebuild someone’s jaw doesn’t sound very promising. I hope he can recover and get back to a normal life…

Was surprised to see the ridiculous amount of anti-hunting sentiment among the comments.
Not to me. The “bear-lover” crowd are predominantly what I world describe as “violently anti-hunter”. Any article dealing with bears hits their newsfeed, and they have the time and inclination to attack the victim, facts and empathy be damned.

The female bear that broke into a cabin was killed, then matched via DNA as the bear involved in a previous mauling.

All in all- gruesome description of an event I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Can’t even begin to imagine it, and hope got a speedy recovery to the victim.

Anyone interested in the true story of the grizz attack south of Big Sky should read what is written by his daughter in the Go Fund Me narrative. Gruesome and sad. Hope he can recover.

Link here - https://www.gofundme.com/f/rudy-noorlander-bear-attack-survivor
Am I reading that right that the hunters shot a bear and not a deer?

That's a shame that it happened and that he had his bear spray in the back pack and not his hip. I pray that he recovers and they can reconstruct him back to normal.

That's a shame that it happened and that he had his bear spray in the back pack and not his hip. I pray that he recovers and they can reconstruct him back to normal.
I was confused by that as well. I didn't realize MT got their grizzly season back.

Hunters shoot deer. Victim offered to help track deer. Ran into a bear, pointed gun at bear. Got surprised by a second, much larger bear to the side. Big bear charged. He tried to shoot, and his gun misfired. The bear got him.

My guess is the deer carcass was right there.

The only indication I have that a bear was possibly injured is the notification of trail closure. Not certain who shot it.

Hunters shoot deer. Victim offered to help track deer. Ran into a bear, pointed gun at bear. Got surprised by a second, much larger bear to the side. Big bear charged. He tried to shoot, and his gun misfired. The bear got him.

My guess is the deer carcass was right there.

The only indication I have that a bear was possibly injured is the notification of trail closure. Not certain who shot it.
"After hearing that the hunters killed but were unable to find a deer, Rudy being the Good Samaritan that he is decided to help them search for it. He had tracked a deer but it turns out it was not the deer the hunters had shot."

A segment of our local SAR cross-trains and certifies with defense weapons in order to respond immediately to a bear attack victim, and not have to wait for wardens or county LEO's on the ground. Seems worthwile in a situation like the above. Hopefully a quick and full recovery for the victim.

"After hearing that the hunters killed but were unable to find a deer, Rudy being the Good Samaritan that he is decided to help them search for it. He had tracked a deer but it turns out it was not the deer the hunters had shot."
I was recounting the tale in response to “hunters shot a bear”. Which they didn’t. Just a deer.

I should have said “a deer”, not “the deer”. Two adult grizzlies that close together this time of year? One of them a boar? Makes me think they were on a carcass. The ”wrong deer”. Hell, maybe he followed magpies thinking they were on the right deer, but then he found a different carcass. But it’s all speculation- hence the “my guess”.

I was recounting the tale in response to “hunters shot a bear”. Which they didn’t. Just a deer.

I should have said “a deer”, not “the deer”. Two adult grizzlies that close together this time of year? One of them a boar? Makes me think they were on a carcass. The ”wrong deer”. Hell, maybe he followed magpies thinking they were on the right deer, but then he found a different carcass. But it’s all speculation- hence the “my guess”.
It took me until now to read that sentence the same way you are reading it (and understanding it).

I thought the statement meant that he was actually tracking a wounded bear that was shot instead of a deer.

You think the statement means that he was tracking a wounded deer but it was a different wounded deer than the one the guy was helping out with, i.e. there are two wounded deer.

I believe you are correct and I was thinking of it incorrectly.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back