Caribou Gear

LWCF <edited> Passed - Senate :)

Sytes

Edit: Apologies if this is a duplicate of the following thread ( https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...nate-S-47-(Natural-Resources-Management-Act-) ) though a bit confused. Did S. 941 get slotted into S. 47?

Next step?
Just received this email. Chalk one up for Tester. Wolves, slid into one bill, now LWCF slid into another... I imagine others were involved though this is first news to be received.
I would think Daines was also involved... Not playing politics, just sharing the info...

Tester's Landmark Yellowstone Gateway Protection Act Clears Senate
Montanans Praise Tester’s Leadership as Senate Passes Bipartisan Lands Package that also Permanently Reauthorizes LWCF

Last edited:
Senator Daines statement:

Here’s Sen. Steve Daines speaking at a press conference shortly after the vote.

"I don't think anybody would have thought we’d be standing here today, February 12, with a 92 to 8 vote. But it took public lands to bring divided government together. I think it's a testimony to who we are as Americans. The value we place on public lands."

Both of Montana's senators tried to get the Yellowstone Gateway and Land and Water Conservation Fund bills passed in the last Congress, and vowed to take another swing at them this year.

http://www.mtpr.org/post/us-senate-passes-major-public-lands-package

I don't think it's permanently funded, but I could be wrong. I believe the program will permanently be in existence, but congress will still have to annually allocate the funds or raid them, depending on the mood.

It is not permanently funded. That is the next big hurdle.

Daines did a lot of work on this, as did Corey Gardner from Colorado. Murkowski from Alaska chairs the Senate Energy & Natural Resource Committee and she was very involved. On the Democratic side, Heinrich and Tester were pushing hard. When you have that many Senators on board, all giving it honest effort, it can overcome the crazies who voted against it.

Lots of work done and lots of credit deserved.

As for the "nays," nothing is a surprise here:

Cruz (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Paul (R-KY)
Sasse (R-NE)
Toomey (R-PA)

If any of those Senators are your senator, a note to let them know your position on public lands might be helpful. I'm tired of so much good hunting legislation getting killed, mostly by the eight folks listed above and a similar group in the House. If ever they are shown the door, expect no tears from me. They are to hunting and conservation what Chuck and Nancy are to gun ownership.

I will absolutely be firing off a note to Ted Cruz, but I'm not really sure he gives a rat's behind. The problem with this last election was, we just had a bad choice vs a terrible choice. It's very frustrating.

I take it, this Senate Bill 941 is the same as 47?

Edited the title. Thanks.

As for the "nays," nothing is a surprise here:

Cruz (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Paul (R-KY)
Sasse (R-NE)
Toomey (R-PA)

If any of those Senators are your senator, a note to let them know your position on public lands might be helpful. I'm tired of so much good hunting legislation getting killed, mostly by the eight folks listed above and a similar group in the House. If ever they are shown the door, expect no tears from me. They are to hunting and conservation what Chuck and Nancy are to gun ownership.

I'm embarrassed to say you are spot on. Nothing surprising from Oklahoma's dynamic duo.

Back