LWCF has some hope

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last night the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee reached a bipartisan agreement on many issues covered under the Energy bill. As promised, MT Senator Steve Daines included language to reauthorize LWCF. This is a huge first step, and a step against a pretty strong current who want to see LWCF either die or get amended to be impotent.

Now, if the House can just keep some sort of sanity (yeah, I know, it is the House) and not get too crazy, LWCF might get reauthorized.

Congressman Zinke from Montana, also emailed me this week affirming that when the discussion happens in the House Natural Resource Committee, of which he is a member, he will be supporting reauthorization.

Thanks to both of them, plus to Senator Tester who has been a long-time advocate for LWCF and public access. I hope you Senators and Congressmen can see their way through the fog to not screw with the LWCF part of this legislation. If it gets through, it will be one of the biggest accomplishment for sportsmen in many years.

Fingers crossed and letters of gratitude being sent.

Senator Daines sent this email today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 22, 2015

Daines Helps Secure Permanent Reauthorization of LWCF in Bipartisan Energy Bill
Comprehensive Energy Bill Balances Montana Priorities of Responsible Energy Production with Conservation

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Senator Steve Daines today released the following statement on the Energy Policy Modernization Act of 2015, bipartisan legislation from the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee that will permanently reauthorize the Land and Water Conservation Fund:

“As Montana’s sole member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, I’m pleased that the Committee has reached a bipartisan solution to permanently reauthorize LWCF. LWCF is an important program for Montana that helps expand access to our public lands. I’m excited to finally take this significant step forward to ensure that this critical program remains in place for generations to come.”

The Energy Policy Modernization Act of 2015 will be marked up in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee next week.

Daines is a cosponsor of S.338 bipartisan legislation sponsored by Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) to secure a permanent solution for LWCF. Daines is only the Republican member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee to cosponsor S.338.

Daines has been actively working to secure funding for LWCF. Daines successfully included an amendment in this year’s Interior, Environment and Related Agencies Appropriations Act to increase LWCF programs by nearly $14 million, bringing the overall total funding for LWCF to the FY2015 enacted level of $306 million.

Additionally, Daines has consistently championed LWCF both in the House and the Senate. Daines recently sent a letter to Interior Appropriations leaders urging for full and robust funding for LWCF. Daines' letter is available here.

I am sending an note to Sen. Heinrich to send support and anyone else here who might be a reasonable person.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back