Yeti GOBOX Collection

Low end optics

Rooster52

I have been looking at the new generation of low end scopes and find some very good optics for the price. I am talking about scopes in the $100 range. I recently have bought a few to test for myself. Only buying ones with unlimited lifetime warranty. Bushnell Trophy,Vortex Crossfire Nikon Prostaff are great scope for the price.Paid less than $100 each. All bought on sale at Cabela's .All of these scopes have held up to over 100 rounds each of my 270WSM and 280 Remington, 308 Winchester and have held zero perfectly.
For the average shooter/hunter they will do everything they need.

It's a crap shoot. I have seen some good China scopes and some real POS for that money. The optics in them are better than a $500 scope 20 years ago but its the mechanical portion that is subject to being junk.

I would say they are fine for target shooting maybe as you do.
NOT hunting - at least not big game hunting DIY! One bump and yer done chance is not a chance i would take.
Maybe fine walking to and fro to a stand? But why?
Why are you looking at low end?! You spend more time buying guns and scopes than anyone
On here.....

Last edited:
It's a crap shoot. I have seen some good China scopes and some real POS for that money. The optics in them are better than a $500 scope 20 years ago but its the mechanical portion that is subject to being junk.

Exactly right. I have had Simmons scopes that were very clear, but not one of them survived rifles with any recoil at all. I will never put a cheap scope on a good rifle again. I don't buy super high-end, either, but there are great scopes available for $200-500.

My new favorite is the SWFA line of fixed-power scopes for $300.

Got some grand kids that are starting to hunt and the low end scopes are fine for them to start with.Not going to spend 300 to 500 for them to see if they like shooting and hunting.They can always upgrade when they get a little older.

I don't know if the Redfield Revolution scope that came as the package on my Ruger American 30-06 is considered low end, but I really like the scope. It holds a zero well and is clear enough for my standards since part of my TBI is optic nerve damage, so I can't hunt in real dark conditions. So, the scope performs well for what I need it to do.

Not to say they are better than the higher priced scopes but they are far better than economy scopes of years ago. Plenty good enough for the hunter on a tight budget or a beginner.I got a new Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 on my browning in 280 Remington and plan on taking it to Wyoming next fall.

Got some grand kids that are starting to hunt and the low end scopes are fine for them to start with.Not going to spend 300 to 500 for them to see if they like shooting and hunting.They can always upgrade when they get a little older.

That is all well and good, Rooster, but how is that kid going to feel if the cheap scope craps on him and suddenly he can't hit anything? That will not help their attitude toward shooting. Your decision.

I feel like that $100 mark is there for a reason. Its a psychological barrier in the cost for things.

I feel like there are substantially better scopes if you're willing to hit the $200 mark. Some of the "basic" Vortex, Leopold, Redfield, Nikon etc get exceptionally better at the $179-229 price point. They will be more reliable and more durable I think.

I've got some $50 scopes on .22s that have held their zero through many thousands of shots. Learned my lesson with center fire though, most scopes on those now are in the $200-$300 range.

That is all well and good, Rooster, but how is that kid going to feel if the cheap scope craps on him and suddenly he can't hit anything? That will not help their attitude toward shooting. Your decision.

Valid point, but maybe a good lesson for said child. Let them learn the lesson early on that buy cheap -> get cheap. I'd much rather have my kids learn at the lower end of the gear spectrum so that they better appreciate the quality stuff. Much like a junker first car, which to me is a right of passage. My first ride was POS, but I loved it!

As for budget scopes, I picked up a Simmons 8point 3-9x40 last night at DSG that after the mail-in rebate will cost me $10. For that money I can find a .22 or something to stick it on. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Not as nice as my other scopes, but way better than I expected for $10. Budget optics have come a long way IMHO.

My first couple of years deer hunting I had to borrow a rifle. I had two choices and both of them had worthless scopes on them. I hated sighting them in with "the guys" because they made me look like I was a horrible shot and I knew I was better than that. It also made finding a deer in the thick woods of northern Minnesota very tough at the beginning and end of legal shooting.

I finally bought my first rifle my junior year of college. I could barely afford ramen but I scraped up enough money to put a VX-III on it. 10 years and it has never let me down. I've never regretted the decision and I have no doubt that scope will last me my entire life.

Back