Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Love the Tikka T3X, but not a fan at all of the safety mechanism

mummel

I'd like to switch the safety to on while loading and unloading the rifle so there is no way it can fire by accident (I forget the name, is this a 3 position safety?).

The Tikka's safety only engages once the rifle is loaded :(

1) Is there a kit that I can use to modify the safety? If so, does anyone know the cost?

2) If it's not worth it, are there any alternative models/manufacturers that offer the same quality at that price point?

Thanks folks.

Doesn't it have a box magazine?

So you rack the bolt put one in the chamber, safety is one with one chambered, then remove the mag, rack the bolt and it's unloaded? I would like a 3 position safety would only be necessary in a ADL style rife?

Having to have the safety off to work the bolt seems dumb to me.

You don't have to have a 3 position safety to work the bolt with the safety on.

Agreed but Remington is the opposite and its a problem cause it doesn't lock the bolt with the safety on. I have more than once had my bolt open drop cartridge out while hunting. I like three position safety. I have a few Remington's so it hasn't made me not like them, I have a couple Tikka's and I really like them but now that i have a gun with a 3 position safety its the best of both worlds.

If you disengage the bolt and then press the trigger, the sear will disengage, but the firing pin wont have enough energy to discharge the cartridge.

At least this has been my understanding.

Agreed but Remington is the opposite and its a problem cause it doesn't lock the bolt with the safety on. I have more than once had my bolt open drop cartridge out while hunting. I like three position safety. I have a few Remington's so it hasn't made me not like them, I have a couple Tikka's and I really like them but now that i have a gun with a 3 position safety its the best of both worlds.

I have a Win M70 with a 3 position safety. I'm not a big fan of it. I prefer the Remington one that doesn't lock the bolt. I've never lost any bullets out of mine.

Tikka are great rifles. But, the safety is one thing I would change, especially for youth. The safety is too easy to bump off.

Last edited:
I'm just not that concerned about the 2 position safety. The worry is that the rifle will go off when opening the bolt?

I can’t stand three position safeties, so I bought an x bolt which is the best of both worlds, bolt locks closed and you can keep the safety on while cycling the bolt.

If you disengage the bolt and then press the trigger, the sear will disengage, but the firing pin wont have enough energy to discharge the cartridge.

At least this has been my understanding.

That is correct. It’s a non issue.

Doesn't it have a box magazine?

So you rack the bolt put one in the chamber, safety is one with one chambered, then remove the mag, rack the bolt and it's unloaded? I would like a 3 position safety would only be necessary in a ADL style rife?

I think what the OP is saying is that he/she doesn't like having the safety off once a round is put in the chamber. Like this:
1) insert box magazine
2) push safety off, can't rotate and move bolt back with safety on.
3) move bolt forward putting live round in chamber, safety still off since can't put safety on until bolt fully forward and rotated.
4) Finally, after live round in chamber, move safety into on position.
5) No round fired. To unload, move safety back into off position before bolt can move.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

It's not that the safety is off during movement of the bolt back and forth that I dont like. It's that the safety is off before/after I'm intending to shoot. It's only a few seconds and after practicing it's second nature. And I do like that the bolt is held securely until ready to shoot. But I wish the safety could be on throughout the process.

I think what the OP is saying is that he/she doesn't like having the safety off once a round is put in the chamber. Like this:
1) insert box magazine
2) push safety off, can't rotate and move bolt back with safety on.
3) move bolt forward putting live round in chamber, safety still off since can't put safety on until bolt fully forward and rotated.
4) Finally, after live round in chamber, move safety into on position.
5) No round fired. To unload, move safety back into off position before bolt can move.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

It's not that the safety is off during movement of the bolt back and forth that I dont like. It's that the safety is off before/after I'm intending to shoot. It's only a few seconds and after practicing it's second nature. And I do like that the bolt is held securely until ready to shoot. But I wish the safety could be on throughout the process.

Yes this. Sht happens. One could drop the rifle from a treestand. Kids could make mistakes etc.

Are there any Tikka models that allow for the safety to be on when loading and unloading???

More expensive, but the Sakos have a three-position safety. I'm very used to my old model 70, so the Tikka safety has been bugging me as well. Just have to be extra careful with muzzle and trigger control I guess.

I love my Tikka, but because of the safety, my child’s first gun will not be a Tikka.

100% agree with you here. I've owned my Tikka now for about 15 years. I love everything about it except the safety. I'd never give the gun to a new hunter for that reason alone. Not only do you need the safety off to load it, but it gets bumped off very easily when moving through brush. It has happened to me on multiple occasions. You cannot go through brush with the gun slung over your shoulder. It needs to be in your hands with your thumb on the safety at all times if you are going to walk with a cartridge in the chamber. It's not so much an issue out west as I never chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot, but it can be an issue while still-hunting the thick woods of northern MN. Obviously if you follow all the rule of gun safety it shouldn't be a problem and I don't feel like it's dangerous in my hands, but mistakes can be made and they can be tragic when they involve a firearm. Beginning hunters have enough to worry about. They need as safe of a gun as possible.

When my kids are old enough to hunt they will not be carrying a Tikka, that I am certain of. They are great guns otherwise, though.

Yes this. Sht happens. One could drop the rifle from a treestand. Kids could make mistakes etc.

Are there any Tikka models that allow for the safety to be on when loading and unloading???

Apparently you can add a shim under the c-clip, essentially disabling the bolt lock function and allowing the safety to remain on through the cycling process. I would consult a gun smith about the process before purchase. There are also a couple of aftermarket 3 position safety for sale, they can be found with a quick google.

I jumped on the thread because I'm interested in the Tikka as well, I currently have Remington 700... pretty much the same safety situation. I've never even considered it an issue as I focus more on gun handling safety than on the mechanism, ie. I don't load the rifle until the critter in front of me is down range, I unload the rifle immediately after the shot, I don't hike with a round in the chamber, I always maintain muzzle control, etc.

This is not to say the safety isn't a concern, but it kinda seems like me that it is far more dangerous to walk around with a three position safety and get complacent then just to assume that your safety doesn't work at all and practice safe handling practices. I've hunt with folks who have and or used myself, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Mausers, and how "safe" I felt was entirely dependent on the operator. My O/U doesn't have a safety period.

All this being said I like the safety on my mossberg 835 and Remington 870

You might want to consider the Randy rifle over the Tikka, or the Begara B-14

Apparently you can add a shim under the c-clip, essentially disabling the bolt lock function and allowing the safety to remain on through the cycling process. I would consult a gun smith about the process before purchase. There are also a couple of aftermarket 3 position safety for sale, they can be found with a quick google.

I jumped on the thread because I'm interested in the Tikka as well, I currently have Remington 700... pretty much the same safety situation. I've never even considered it an issue as I focus more on gun handling safety than on the mechanism, ie. I don't load the rifle until the critter in front of me is down range, I unload the rifle immediately after the shot, I don't hike with a round in the chamber, I always maintain muzzle control, etc.

This is not to say the safety isn't a concern, but it kinda seems like me that it is far more dangerous to walk around with a three position safety and get complacent then just to assume that your safety doesn't work at all and practice safe handling practices. I've hunt with folks who have and or used myself, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Mausers, and how "safe" I felt was entirely dependent on the operator. My O/U doesn't have a safety period.

All this being said I like the safety on my mossberg 835 and Remington 870

You might want to consider the Randy rifle over the Tikka, or the Begara B-14

For sure. Not a dealbreaker, it's just a weird uneasy feeling having it off right after loading since its normally the last thing I do before squeezing the trigger. Otherwise I handle it the same as my 700.

Might do the aftermarket thing if I decide to keep mine. Will check that out. Thanks!

Do any tikkas come with the permanent safety feature? Or is it all after market stuff?

More expensive, but the Sakos have a three-position safety. I'm very used to my old model 70, so the Tikka safety has been bugging me as well. Just have to be extra careful with muzzle and trigger control I guess.
My A7 does not have a 3 position safety.

Back