Love the Tikka T3X, but not a fan at all of the safety mechanism

After reading this thread I'm more confused than when I started. All I know is I've had a few Tikkas, a few 700's, and I've really liked all the ones that shot well. There's an active member here who's hand tuned more Walker triggers than there are hipsters in Bozeman, and a few floating around who've burned out a Tikka barrel or two. Do enough of anything and there will be mechanical failures, there is an acceptable rate and an unacceptable one; Tikka's fall in the "safe" pile for me.
That said I've got sympathy for @TheDudeAbides issue. I'd be sending that thing in and might feel very differently.

Are we all complete idiots that we get confused with the safety, good grief. After saying that i do like the safety on my savage throphy hunter much better

Last edited:
Heard one similar story to Dudes from a buddy who had a near miss from a partners Tikka which discharged while elk hunting. He tried talking me out of buying a Tikka because of it.

Maybe there is a problem w these safeties

Just two.

It was due to having a live round in the chamber and trying to put the safety on and having the gun go off.

In order for me to feel comfortable, I have to clear the chamber before putting the safety on.

It doesn't work if there isn't a round in the chamber.

So to be clear:
You put a round in the chamber of a Tikka rifle.
You attempted to move the safety to the "Safe" position.
The rifle fired without the trigger being touched.
Correct?
And you had this happen twice without contacting the manufacturer of the rifle?

I'm going to take it to a gun smith and see if there is a quick fix or if I should upgrade the safety.

The issue is that I ceracoated the barrel, so I doubt there is any warranty by doing that.

Warranty? If the rifle fires when put on safe that goes way, way beyond a warranty issue.
Was the barrel removed to ceracoat? Who did that? What did they say about the issue you describe?

I have put 1000's of rounds through almost a dozen tikkas and have never had an issue with the safety. But then again I walk around with a full mag and empty chamber. I only run the bolt once I'm ready to pull the trigger. Yes, this cost me at least one animal over the years....but Im NEVER in fear of my gun "accidentally" firing. That would really detract from the ambiance.

So to be clear:
You put a round in the chamber of a Tikka rifle.
You attempted to move the safety to the "Safe" position.
The rifle fired without the trigger being touched.
Correct?
And you had this happen twice without contacting the manufacturer of the rifle?

I am just going to take it to a smith. Like I mentioned before, I did a homemade duracoat finish on the rifle and just want to make sure it wasn't something that I did.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back