Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Love Montana in November

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
When possible, I try to save the middle week of November for whitetail hunting. I was finally able to block out this year to be a "No camera" hunt.

My brother in law, Ray, and his buddy, Kyle, came out from Ohio, having drawn Montana deer tags.

Wasn't sure what we would find. The friend who invited us over have been hunting their property pretty hard. The outfitter has cropped off most of the mature muleys, so I figured we would shoot some whitetails and call it good.

Mrs. Fin informed me to mind my manners and allow her brother and his company to take first shot. Fine with me.

Yesterday was a great day. Lots of buck spotted. This was the third buck to come by. Very cool buck. A big heavy 4X4 with a forked G2 and an eight-inch tine coming off the inside of the main beam. Kyle (guy on the right) is a pretty happy hunter after this one.

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

This morning was about 30 mph winds, so I had pretty low expectations. Only one buck came by, but he was worth the wait.

Ray shot his buck at 76 yards, about 30 yards from where Kyle's buck had tipped over. When these guys head back to Ohio tomorrow, I think they will have some pretty big smiles.

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

I still have my tag. One more person coming to town to join me, so I am hoping there are some deer left after we fill his tag. If nothing else, I have a fist full of doe tags, and that is always great fun.

Really looking forward to doing nothing but sitting on a ridge and being awoken by a buck making a scrape in the cottonwoods below. I love doing the TV gig, but it is refreshing and enjoyable to hunt without cameras, once in a while.

With the snow and cold coming, I am hoping the deer will cooperate.

Congrats to your brother and friend. Best of success in your deer hunt, BFin.

Nice lookin WT's!

Nice photos.

November in Montana is definately a magical time. Too bad it is so fleeting.

Man, there's no quit in you is there? Those are some great looking bucks. I'd hurry up and pop your buck before the real cold stuff hits next week. Congrats again.

Those are great bucks Kyle and Ray! Man those whiteys are really running around with their heads down right now. I just need to get in front of one and get lucky:D

Great bucks guys! Be sure and save some of that luck for KS in a couple weeks. ;)

Great bucks, really like the character on that first one.

Tomorrow is a continuation of the carnage. Doe tags to be filled, and DAD from here on Hunt Talk has tired of smashing pheasants in Kansas and told me he wants to come further west and do some cold weather deer hunting.

And, I do have a buck tag yet to fill, if something strikes my fancy, so who knows what might happen.

How many tags can you MT guy pick up every year?

For the most part, it's one buck tag each, although there are a few loopholes for that.

For does, you can kill a ridiculous amount. There's multiple units where you can shoot 4-6 does on OTC tags, and you can hunt each of these units if you so choose.

Randy11,

Can you take a muley buck and whitey buck every year? Do those units support shooting that many does? I need to get my first whitetail, but all of my hunting partners don't seem too willing to "waste" their tag on a whitetail when they could go after muleys.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back