Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Lost hunter finds a camp.

About 10 years ago, My brother and I were in our 20's and had been up hunting. A few mornings in we notice a jeep parked at the top of a ridge off the FS road. The next day it is still parked in the same spot so we thought someone packed in from there. It was a strange place to do that but to each their own right. Well the next day the mountain is crawling with ATV's and lots of people. About mid day we stop one of the wheelers and they say they are search and rescue and 2 men in their 20's went hunting but didn't come back that night. Long story short, the news blurbs read 2 blond haired men in their 20's went missing in the mountains for 48 hours. My Fiance ( now wife ) saw the report and was concerned when I called to check in. Point of my story is check in with your loved ones daily if possible. Save them some worry for potential lost and found that fit your description. Turns out the 2 guys only had on jeans with jean jackets and orange hats. They were smokers so they were able to make fire, but they were found.

I got an InReach mini - even its the only reliable way to track anything.
OnX doesn't work in probably 60% of ALaska unless you have the offline map downloaded and you are connected to a GPS Device. I can use OnX in unison with my InReach/Earthmate Apps but not by itself.
Also a good reminder - the device has to be on you. I dropped my pack, marked the spot and then ran off around a corner on a hillside. After 45 minutes of walking and glassing I went to go back to my pack only to realize my InReach was mounted to it and so I had no positioning.
Now it goes on my bino chest rig in one of the pockets. It would be smart to also put a small kit with fire starter and a few other basics in your pockets or something for when you drop your pack and go just in case you can't get back.

I had this idiot hunting on my ranch ( 15,000 acres) and on night I get a call “ hey I got my truck stuck and need a ride “
” sure where are you “
” I don’t know “
” on a fence line?”
“ I don’t know “

three hours later I find the truck with no hunter , 1/2 mile late, no flash light, no phone, I find him :mad:

well he got a butt chewing for
1. all my roads lead to a fence or main road
2. never leave a vehicle and your phone to wonder around lost
Yeah, but how big was the elk he shot? 🤣

Back