Los Angeles, hunting & fishing?

Kiwi

I am heading to Los Angeles, CA for a family holiday and will have a couple of days free and have started researching hunting and fishing opportunities that I can fit in. The dates are June 28 - July 3 2023.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

the easiest would be a cattle boat for some quick fishing (1/2 day, 3/4 day or overnight) or you could charter a boat for yourself, but that can be spendy. You can also get into guided pig hunts just north of LA, or you can try DIY if you rent a car and travel a few hours further north, but it’s hard to crack without a lot of boots on the ground scouting. If you have a target game and a budget/ time you are willing to devote to it, I can try to point you in a few good directions.

Private charter to the channel islands, don't even bother with the cattle boats. I charter the same boat 4-6 times every year, when you're closer to arriving revive this thread and I'll set one up. Not much hunting going on in june/July unless you want to head to Gorman for some pheasant and chukkar, but its hot af....

Private charter to the channel islands, don't even bother with the cattle boats. I charter the same boat 4-6 times every year, when you're closer to arriving revive this thread and I'll set one up. Not much hunting going on in june/July unless you want to head to Gorman for some pheasant and chukkar, but its hot af....
Is pig still year round there? I can be fun, but pigs in hot weather is tough.

I am heading to Los Angeles, CA for a family holiday and will have a couple of days free and have started researching hunting and fishing opportunities that I can fit in. The dates are June 28 - July 3 2023.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

One would have to be pretty desperate to hunt Tejon $2k for a pig ....
I tell you what, come on over my way and for $1k, I'll let him shoot 2 pigs, 5 chickens and some coyotes. Heck, I'll even smoke the pigs for you
I didn't ask a budget, just answered a question. If you ever get the chance to be boots on the ground in Tejon it is pretty fantastic. When you have 277,000 acres to manage it's amazing what kind of wildlife populations you can develop.

I didn't ask a budget, just answered a question. If you ever get the chance to be boots on the ground in Tejon it is pretty fantastic. When you have 277,000 acres to manage it's amazing what kind of wildlife populations you can develop.
Agree with this having got to tag along here once for a work event. With that said, $1,000 for two pigs, chickens and coyotes - let me know when you are picking me up 2rocky, that’s a pretty sweet deal to fill the fridge and stretch the legs in the off-season. Miller - what is the group discount for 2rocky, I and some other friends we pick up along the way!

I have hunted Tejon before , it used to be fantastic. Well managed with great employees and a pleasant neighbor to have on the community . The annual Pig O Rama used to be
$500 and was a fairly decent price for a highly successful hunt on thoughtfully managed lands. A great way to bring in new or youth hunters.
This of course is no more, between the disgusting amount of sanctioned poaching for profit done by employees, and absolute price gouging I'd never recommend anyone pay to hunt this "ranch" most landowners who have bordering properties with Tejon will agree how vile the employees are and seem to think they are holier than though simply because they are employed there. The ranch is managed purely for profit, not future habitats. I look forward to the state taking full control of this property and shutting it down as a canned hunting farm.

I've been out of Cali for 30 years. Not endorsing any outfitters. All the intel you are getting is legit. Look north of LA in Monterey or San Luis Obispo counties for good DIY or guided pig hunts. A few hidden gems out of Coalinga in Fresno County as well. Ask them to supply a CA Compliant rifle and non-lead ammo for you.

I miss chasing sounders with a 44 mag. Great fun. I remember when they decided you needed a tag for it. We used to buy a seven pack of tags. Is that still how they do it?

If you go out, remember that they don't all look like classic Russian boars. If you are not close to a barnyard, its feral. I've put some black & pink 'uns in the freezer that could have been a farm raised Duroc.

I live in Huntington Beach, just South of LA. If those are the dates you are available, I highly recommend booking a fishing trip or 2 instead of hunting. I can't recommend any hunts nearby with a straight face. Tejon ranch's price for a pig hunt is disturbing, not to mention the heat you would be hunting in. You'll have the most fun fishing on an overnight boat or a 2 day trip. I highly recommend boats out of Channel Islands Sportfishing at that time for a 2 day or 3 day, as white seabass should be going off really good. 600-750 bucks will get you a 2-3 day out of Channel Islands Landing in Oxnard, which is about 50 miles up the coast from LA. I do 2-3 trips a year from there on the multi day trips.

Agree with this having got to tag along here once for a work event. With that said, $1,000 for two pigs, chickens and coyotes - let me know when you are picking me up 2rocky, that’s a pretty sweet deal to fill the fridge and stretch the legs in the off-season. Miller - what is the group discount for 2rocky, I and some other friends we pick up along the way!
Count me in… separate savings commencing in 3… 2… 1…

The only thing worth hunting for from Santa Clarita to Bakersfield from late June through August is air conditioning and cold beer. I did see a few pigs off I-5 yesterday on Tejon ranch, just South of the school, and a dandy buck under a tree on the school property.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back