looking to hunt CO elk in 2020 with 17 points? recomendations?

Kevinpk85

Looking to hunt Colorado this year with 17 points. Does anyone have any good recommendations for outfitters to burn these points up with? Either muzzle loader or first rifle. Looking for guided or semi guided. Would appreciate any suggestions.

-Kevin

Looking to hunt Colorado this year with 17 points. Does anyone have any good recommendations for outfitters to burn these points up with? Either muzzle loader or first rifle. Looking for guided or semi guided. Would appreciate any suggestions.

-Kevin

I feel like you should figure out where you want to hunt and then start looking at guides in that area. You would have to do research on units that are getting drawn at 15+ points for NR.

I think 76 would be a stretch. first rifle is 20+. Might be able to squeak out a Muzzle tag for that time. Anyone ever hunt the estes park area?

Truthfully, it's my wife who has the points. Her father started putting in for her when she was young and she has done it every year since. Honestly, I am anti-preference points. Maybe it's just because I didn't start putting in early enough and am just jealous that I wont be able to get a trophy unit until I am 60+ years old. I personally hunt New Mexico. The lottery system combined with unit wide landowner tag availability has worked the best for me. My wife has never killed an elk and is sick of burning money on the points each year. She's ready to use them this year. I know there are many of you that would think it's foolish to burn 17 points, just because. But she isn't interested in waiting another 10 years to hunt unit 201, 1, 2, 10. Thank you all for any suggestions. I'm not looking for anyone's hotspot, Just looking for anyone's experience with any outfitters.

The later rifle seasons in 40 match her point total pretty well. I wouldn’t recommend anyone hunt 40 without a guide, but it sounds like that’s what you’re looking for. Biggerstaff does really well but they’re often booked a year or two in advance.

76.. Rio Grande Outfitters. If you can pull muzzleloader

Thanks for the replies thus far.

In the light research I've done. Unit 76 looks like a great unit for her point range. But it looks like at 17 points, she might be a little short for a Muzz tag. 1st rifle is out of the question, and it looks like harvest rates on bulls drops off significantly in 2nd rifle. Maybe she will have to bite the bullet and wait another year or two.

I love DIY public land hunting, but we have an 18 month old and a 4 year old. So taking the proper amount of time off to get out and scout on our own in CO just isn't in the cards for us right now. I can get away with not scouting in NM because the elk are mostly non-migratory where I hunt and between my friends and I we have 10 years of experience in that unit.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

In the light research I've done. Unit 76 looks like a great unit for her point range. But it looks like at 17 points, she might be a little short for a Muzz tag. 1st rifle is out of the question, and it looks like harvest rates on bulls drops off significantly in 2nd rifle. Maybe she will have to bite the bullet and wait another year or two.

I love DIY public land hunting, but we have an 18 month old and a 4 year old. So taking the proper amount of time off to get out and scout on our own in CO just isn't in the cards for us right now. I can get away with not scouting in NM because the elk are mostly non-migratory where I hunt and between my friends and I we have 10 years of experience in that unit.
76 has early rifle > then 1st rifle> then 2nd rifle

If u are going outfitted I’d say 40. What season(s) can u draw w 17 pts in that unit?

I also don’t understand why ppl are such smartasses. The guy asked for reccomemdations. If u can’t add anything useful then just shup up please. No one really wants to hear it! I’m sure the guy has done some research. He was looking for opinions not sarcasm

Back