Looking for Tent and Bag

I don't have any experience with it but lately they have been running a Marmot never summer down bag on steepandcheap for under $150 I believe. I was on a tight budget when I was looking for a bag and ended up getting a Kelty Cosmic down 20* bag for $72 off steepandcheap. I think it weights 2.5 pounds. I also got a sea to summit reactor liner from an REI scratch and dent sale for $20. With this set up I should be good down to 10 degrees or lower, though I haven't tested it to those temps. I was sweating when it was in the low 40's though. It's likely not of the same quality as the mid tier bags but I think it was worth every penny and have heard a lot of good reviews. If you spend a lot of time in the back country I'd probably just spend the extra cash for a better bag though.

I don't have any experience with it but lately they have been running a Marmot never summer down bag on steepandcheap for under $150 I believe. I was on a tight budget when I was looking for a bag and ended up getting a Kelty Cosmic down 20* bag for $72 off steepandcheap. I think it weights 2.5 pounds. I also got a sea to summit reactor liner from an REI scratch and dent sale for $20. With this set up I should be good down to 10 degrees or lower, though I haven't tested it to those temps. I was sweating when it was in the low 40's though. It's likely not of the same quality as the mid tier bags but I think it was worth every penny and have heard a lot of good reviews. If you spend a lot of time in the back country I'd probably just spend the extra cash for a better bag though.

how long did you have to watch steepandcheap, one item every 15mins and that item can be any random outdoor thing. Could take months to get what you want.

I signed up to get text message alerts on sacalerts.com. You can enter key words and if an item is listed with that key word in it you will get a text (or email if preferred). I set my keyword as "sleeping", so every time a sleeping bag or sleeping pad was listed I would know about it. I just looked back and the item they were listing was the marmot never summer 0* bag for $169.95. Still a very good deal.

Go with a 0 degree down bag. Pretty easy for it to get into the 20's in the high country. I had a 20 deg Sierra designs synthetic once and while backpacking for golden trout I slept in clothes shivering waiting for the sun. Talk about two long nights. Swore never again, bought a -20 down bag and I've never been happier to pack an extra pound around. If its above 20 I can stretch out and use it like a blanket more comfortable than being mummified.

I also use a big Agnes insulated pad, night and day compared to the thin thermarests I used to have. I'll second Dan at hunthardcore, I've hunted with him he's a good guy and uses what he sells.

Really like my BA Fly Creek UL2 along with a Marmot Lithium. The bag is 0 rated but I use a liner also for some of the above stated reasons. I like the 0 degree bag. I can always unzip if I get too hot but there is not much to do if if it gets too cold and you don't have enough bag. I experienced that directly last year. My hunts have been confined to Oct and Nov in CO.

I feel the same. I've used the 0 degree bag for the last 8 years and only and handful of times I've had to unzip it. There's nothing like laying in a bag for 12 hours and you can't get warm.

Been looking a lot at bags lately, leaning towards the Mountain Hardware Phantom 0. Going to wait until it's closer to Christmas to see if it goes on sale or one of the other well known bags. Anyone have any experience w/this bag? For the tent I'm going to go w/the Fly Creek, just deciding if it want the UL1 or UL2

REI outlet has Sierra Designs Zissou Dri Down bags on sale. Dri Down is the new water Repellant "coated" down stuff. They are only 600 loft down so they will be heavier than 800 fill stuff but still a pretty good deal I think.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001&cat=4500001_Sleeping+Bags&search=Camping+Sale+and+Clearance&jxBrand=Sierra+Designs&hist=cat%2C4500001%3ACamping+%26+Hiking^search%2CCamping+Sale+and+Clearance^cat%2C4500001_Sleeping+Bags%3ASleeping+Bags^jxBrand%2CSierra+Designs

BA UL2 is really a one man tent in my mind. I am 6'3" and I just barely fit in there. The UL2 allows me to bring a little gear inside, roll around, dress, undress, and be more comfortable. It takes a little practice to get the pitch right, but a very nice one man space when you get the hang of it.

BA UL2 is really a one man tent in my mind. I am 6'3" and I just barely fit in there. The UL2 allows me to bring a little gear inside, roll around, dress, undress, and be more comfortable. It takes a little practice to get the pitch right, but a very nice one man space when you get the hang of it.

Yea I pretty much have my mind set on a BA UL2. I'm average size maybe even a tad below average but even if I wanted to bring my GF on a summer scouting trip the UL should work for both of us. I'm still undecided on a bag/pad for me though. Keep going back/forth. I'd like to try to keep the bag to 350 or less.

Yea I pretty much have my mind set on a BA UL2. I'm average size maybe even a tad below average but even if I wanted to bring my GF on a summer scouting trip the UL should work for both of us. I'm still undecided on a bag/pad for me though. Keep going back/forth. I'd like to try to keep the bag to 350 or less.

UL2 is just right for a girlfriend, but that's about it. I wouldn't want my regular hunting buddy in there.

i am a big guy and have the big agnes with the integrated pad. actually works very well and i too roll a lot in my sleep. i especially like the extra shoulder room. packs down very small. if rei is an option for you, they usually have several bags laid out that you can try right there in the store along with pads.

Again, call and talk with Dan at hunthardcore.com.He'll hook you up with a great sleeping bag and pad

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back