Looking for Tent Advice & Insights

September in Wyoming....Granted there wasn't anyone IN the tent knocking the snow off.

This google search addresses your quandary. In short, expect unseasonable early snows 20% of the time. Only you can determine if that is worth upgrading to a 4 season. (mainly poles)

123299968_10223768059258140_13172077660293484_n.jpg

September in Wyoming....Granted there wasn't anyone IN the tent knocking the snow off.

This google search addresses your quandary. In short, expect unseasonable early snows 20% of the time. Only you can determine if that is worth upgrading to a 4 season. (mainly poles)

123299968_10223768059258140_13172077660293484_n.jpg
Ouch.

I had one night that dumped 10 inches on me. I knocked snow off from the inside twice. That was an early October deer hunt and I was at 10400. Rest of the 5-day hunt was clear as a bell. It happens ....

Luxe Hexpeak XL (3P), 1.5p Inner tent (Winter version), 3W Titanium Wood Stove.
I have been looking at this tent, but I am curious about a few things. If you didn't use the inner tent could you fit 2 people, gear and stove? Would condensation be terrible if I used in this manner?

I have been looking at this tent, but I am curious about a few things. If you didn't use the inner tent could you fit 2 people, gear and stove? Would condensation be terrible if I used in this manner?
Yeah, I think you could fit two people and the stove. Will be a bit on the tight side depending on how tall you are. As far as gear, that will all depend on how much you are packing but you should be able to get quite a bit inside with you. At least the stuff you really care about. And it would be very easy to stretch a secondary tarp off of one side to stow some gear outside but under cover.
As far as condensation, you will have some. Not having a vent right at the peak impedes air flow to some degree. Firing up the stove solves that problem though in short order.

I have only used it once but I have the megahorn (4p) and love it. A little heavier but even with the extra size, 2 guys and all of our gear with a heater it fills up quick. But as far a Luxe tents, for some reason they get bad talked occasionally online but I do not have one bad thing to say. I really like the see through window on the 3w stove too.

I’m looking into the same question. Ive always been a rag tag sleep on the ground type but I’m not 20 anymore so I’ve been looking at the Nemo firefly tent ($350). Seems to be a favorite brand of a lot of ultra lite 6+ day backpackers but probably a 3 season tent. Sleeping pad I’m looking at the therma-rest Neo air xlite ($150-$200). I have yet to settle on a sleeping bag and am looking at the 0-15d as well. I’ll keep looking on here to see what others recommend but that’s what reading and watching way too many youtube videos has led me to but I can’t be too mad because it led me to some of the other gear I have like my Kifaru pack which I love.
Check offer up I got the Neo Air Xlite pretty much almost brand new for $80 from a guy who only used it once. Check offer up you might be able to find a good deal.

Howdy,
This is right up my alley for backpack hunting. I have a "Seek Outside 4 person Tipi" and a "Luxe Hiking Gear's Minipeak XL Pyramid 3P". The Seek Outside has a inner liner to handle condensation and a stove jack. The Luxe is smaller and also has a stove jack. I use a large Titanium stove(from Seek Outside) that I use in both. The Seek Outside Tipi is large and has room enough that we put 3 men along with packs, gear, and firewood in side. It is excellent, but a bit heavy it only one person is carrying the tipi, liner, and stove by oneself. But it is doable if shared with others. The Luxe Pyramid has no liner and is a bit cozy if 2 men and gear are in there. It is however, only 2.9 lbs and easy to backpack into the back country. In either setup, I use light tarps as a ground cloths and that works well. I don't have any mud, and other debris, to clean out of the tent tub when done. Using a tarp ground cloth is much better than I ever thought a floor-less tent would ever be! And talk about warm, it can be zero or less(for real) outside and you will come out of any extra clothing layers. You only need wear a t-shirt and long john bottoms when the stove is going. It can get RED HOT! The first photo is the "Seek Outside" with me next to it. The other photo is the "Luxe Pyramid". BTW: I am 64 years old and going strong! If I can do it, you can too!

Attachments

• Seek-Outside-post-morning-hunt.jpg
    Seek-Outside-post-morning-hunt.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Luxe-post-morning-hunt.jpg
    Luxe-post-morning-hunt.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 26
Cimarron from seek outside and a medium u turn stove, still use a zero degree stone glacier bag and an ether light pad but I use the stove just to dry out and keep the chill off before bed and upon waking if not rushing out ASAP. Most nights in the mountains I am in boxers only in that bag and have no problems. Mostly in the 20-30 degree range at night for my experience. Appalachians in VA and Beartooths in MT. I usually carry the tent and pole and my wife carries the stove setup. Still not bad for weight and we throw a Tyvek ground sheet down under our pads.

Few setups, plenty of room for 2 and all gear with a stove going. Extra room for wood also.

Attachments

• 96D56074-9B74-4C6D-B936-9ED6C08B40D9.jpeg
    96D56074-9B74-4C6D-B936-9ED6C08B40D9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • A0039725-A44A-4A62-83BB-9000EC0BD66A.jpeg
    A0039725-A44A-4A62-83BB-9000EC0BD66A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 7AC4CB11-33D6-4FD6-9049-DBF56465A48C.jpeg
    7AC4CB11-33D6-4FD6-9049-DBF56465A48C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
Yeah, I think you could fit two people and the stove. Will be a bit on the tight side depending on how tall you are. As far as gear, that will all depend on how much you are packing but you should be able to get quite a bit inside with you. At least the stuff you really care about. And it would be very easy to stretch a secondary tarp off of one side to stow some gear outside but under cover.
As far as condensation, you will have some. Not having a vent right at the peak impedes air flow to some degree. Firing up the stove solves that problem though in short order.
Thanks for the input. I am only 5'9 and thinking those I hunt with aren't much bigger. I think it would just be me 95% percent of the time. Hopefully will have my oldest boy if he wants to come along in future years.

I have only used it once but I have the megahorn (4p) and love it. A little heavier but even with the extra size, 2 guys and all of our gear with a heater it fills up quick. But as far a Luxe tents, for some reason they get bad talked occasionally online but I do not have one bad thing to say. I really like the see through window on the 3w stove too.
Thanks for the input. Having never been on a backpack trip, any input is welcomed I have looked at that one also. I am hopeful when my boys are big enough they will want to go and I will have to size up anyways. That won't be for 10 years or so.

Thanks for the input. I am only 5'9 and thinking those I hunt with aren't much bigger. I think it would just be me 95% percent of the time. Hopefully will have my oldest boy if he wants to come along in future years.
If you are solo for most of the time then it is quite roomy and the weight for one person is not bad at all. My wife and I have used it with the stove, she is 5'4" and I am 6'1" and we fit just fine but it was spring/fall camping so not as much gear as two hunters might bring in.

I am looking for a tent that can be used as a base camp but also for backpacking on multi-day trekks for mid-season (October) elk & deer hunts in WY, ID, & CO.

do I need a 4-seasons rated tent or could a 3 seasons tent with a good sleeping bag (0-15 degrees) and sleeping pad work?

what packing weight range should I focus on? obviously I need enough tent but not weigh down a multi-day backpacking trip

would you recommend a footprint or tarp for flooring?

I've seen shelters where you use trekking poles for support. Would that work for nights potentially dropping to around 0 degrees?

It's been a few months OP: What did you decide? How did it go?

My all time fav shelter is the kifaru super tarp. Light, roomy, and sets up quick

I've never personally used a tipi style tent. I'm currently using a marmot tungsten 2p. Weight 5lbs 5oz with extra stakes and all stuff sacks footprint... it can be paired down to about 4 1/2 lbs but it holds to winds and rain awesome. Had it out during the tornados that swept through ky back this Dec. On a bear hunt. High winds and heavy rains . Can't speak to snow loads nor anything below freezing mark only upper 30s to low 40s .

I just acquired an 8-man Tipi from SO. Do any of you large tipi tent owners leave your pole at home and just rely on a stick in the woods for your pole?

I don't see my trekking poles supporting the 8' height, but I could be wrong. I recall just about every time I've gone out, I've seen deadfall adequate enough to support the tipi.

I just acquired an 8-man Tipi from SO. Do any of you large tipi tent owners leave your pole at home and just rely on a stick in the woods for your pole?

I don't see my trekking poles supporting the 8' height, but I could be wrong. I recall just about every time I've gone out, I've seen deadfall adequate enough to support the tipi.
Haven't tried a stick, would be worried about trekking poles collapsing if windy, bad news if the stove is burning. Stick would work if you're confident you'll find what you need, the nice part about the telescoping pole is it's easy to take up slack as the tipi stretches, you'd have to find flat rocks or something to slide under the stick or leave it slack, but that's not good in the wind.

I ended up buying a dedicated teepee pole and it works well - doesn’t weigh that much and packs up small.

Back