Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Looking for recommendations on duck calls.

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
G

Guest member 25165

While I am more of a bow hunter/upland game hunter, I've gotten to be good friends with an avid duck hunter. He wants me to tag along with him this year. I am looking at getting a new call and would like some call recommendations. This will be pot-hole, marsh hunting...not big open water. I am not a total new-bee on a duck call, but I won't win any contests either. What do you guys like?

This ought to do the trick.

I’ve got calls from $20-$150. Several people I’ve hunted with could have used this and been more productive than whatever noises they were making.

I would do some reading on the when to call vs. what call. Can make a lot of difference.

It’s fun and addicting like most things outdoor related.

Attachments

• CF4EB700-71CF-4AC0-B7A2-87A4226D3FAA.png
    CF4EB700-71CF-4AC0-B7A2-87A4226D3FAA.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 3
For smaller water, I'd look at a double reed. People get too focused on sound carrying so ducks hear them, but I've seen a lot of birds flare away when they hear a call that is way too loud.

Edit: I use acrylic calls because I'm a cheapskate, but wood would likely serve you better. A single reed, acrylic call is REALLY loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jase's call, from Duck Commander, is my go-to call. I'm not the greatest caller and it is very forgiving!

All my calls are under $40, and are definitely what I would recommend until you get proficient with a call.
A lot of people buy $100+ calls and expect ducks to lock up as soon as they put it to their lips.
I've found my $20 Buck Gardner double nasty does the same as my hunting buddies RNT in my hands.
He is a former Reelfoot guide. Needless to say the higher end calls sound much better in his hands.

A double read acrylic would serve you well for your intended purpose. Wood is softer and more mellow sounding but moisture is its' enemy

I would base your purchase on how serious you want to get in to calling ducks. I prefer single Reed calls as they have the widest range. But they are harder to become proficient on because they can be overblown and lock up. A double reed has less range but still gives good sound and it has the advantage of being more beginner friendly as they typically won't lock up even when cold and wet.

Now materials will have an affect on tone and volume. Acrylic calls are typically more expensive. They give crisp, loud calls and work very good for open water and calling ducks at a distance. A lot of high end call manufacturers offer the top end "guts" in poly. Poly is cheaper than acrylic and can make some very fantastic calls. It will not produce as crisp of a note but to 99% of people they won't be able to tell the difference. I also believe poly is a little less durable than acrylic. And last you have wood. Wood needs a little more care taken after and during hunts. Wood swells with moisture and can crack calls but just disassemble and let it properly dry after each hunt and it will last a long time. Wood will absord more sound so it gives a very nice mellow natural sound to calls. I love using my wood calls for close up work and finishing ducks.

That all being said I run RNT calls and they are awesome. If your call gets worn out or out of tune you can send them in and they will replace the Reed's and tune it up and send it back to you for the cost of shipping. RNT, echo, zink, etc. All make amazing calls and you can pick up the high end calls in a poly body to save a good chunk of change and still get a great call.

I like the motto buy once, cry once and I've spent a ton of money on lesser calls that got thrown away. But the most important thing is just learn how and when to call and brand really won't matter. After all, if you on the X you really don't need to do any calling at all.

It’s highly personal and you will just need to blow some and see what you like. If you want just to do the basics, a double reed is just fine. If you want full range to really finesse ducks, has to be single reed.
My favorite big brand call is an RNT daisy cutter. For a smaller company I like 737 calls.

Lots of good calls. Just don't screw them up by taking them apart and playing with the reeds. My buddy who is a duck hunting fiend used Duck Commanders way before they were famous and still does.

I prefer a single reed. I feel like it's easier for me to get a consistent sound, but you'll get a ton of different opinions. I love my RNT Original. My advice would be to get a couple of cheap calls in different style before you buy an expensive one. That way you'll know what you like better, and a higher quality call does make a difference in my opinion. I know you said you're not a newbie, so you might have a style you prefer already. Overall I like RNT, but I'm not dedicated to them.

It's hard to screw up with a whistle. Im not a great caller, so I like to go with a few simple hen calls with a heavy dose of drake mallard calls and widgeon whistles. Or, if the birds are quiet and working the decoys, I oftentimes dont call at all. The area I hunt is public and gets hit hard, and I constantly hear people throwing out highballs with little success. Oftentimes less is more effective for me.

I went with a Zink ATM Green Machine and a Duck Commander wood duck call. I have an Echo poly timber call and although I like the sound, the reeds stick for me quite often.

After calling and hunting ducks since before I could hunt I would say the biggest thing would be get a starter call. Then watch the ducks, watch how they respond not only to the call itself but to your timing. So much of calling ducks that a lot of guys just go out and scream through a call. I you watch and time your calls using the right ones, single quacks, feeder calls and hails or a combination of single quack and hail call you can have increased success with any call. I still to this day have success with my original $10 faulks wooden call even with $100+ calls around my neck. Watch how the ducks react while circling to when you call based on there relationship to where they are circling, going away, banking, coming back toward them. The other is when they are coming in do they want finishing calls or are you better off to just shut up and let them dump in. Days are different and pressure and none pressured birds are different. I have watched duck where if you don't call until there feet are almost in the decoys they will flare and other days they get close and flare unless you shut up. And then there are the perfect days where you can be standing in the middle of the decoys and they still try to come in, those are the days.

Long and short get a call and practice and practice a lot like most other calling it takes time and dont be discouraged if your buddy scrunches his face up and tells you to put that call away the first couple trips. ;) we've all been there.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back