Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking for rangefinder for mountain rifle hunting

matechakeric

-want to range targets (deer & elk) out to 400 yards -- though it would be nice to range out to 900 yards just to know distances
-elevation difference calculations important
-quick & effective
-budget up to $600, but always like saving money if not sacrificing quality too much

Last edited:
I have a Leica 2700b and love it. It’ll range deer well over 1000 yards, rocks and trees over 2000 yards very consistently. Upload my ballistics via a mini sd card and it will output the MOA correction for me to dial inclusive of shot angle and atmospheric density (altitude, humidity, and temperature).

I see they discontinued that model and now have the 2800.COM, which lets you load different ballistic profiles via Bluetooth from your phone instead of having to use a laptop to write your ballistics onto the mini sd card.

I think some of the Sigs have this functionality with ballistics, shot angle, and atmospheric density but I’m not sure. They will certainly be at a more affordable price point than the Leica.

I bought a Leica approx 16 years ago. Pretty hard use and long seasons. The rubber on the case is starting to look bad but function has always been flawless.
when and if this one fails I will probably buy another Leica if I don‘t upgrade my EL binos to an EL range finding bino. I guess at 15 years old it might go to heck at anytime. Until then I am happy.

I bought a Leica approx 16 years ago. Pretty hard use and long seasons. The rubber on the case is starting to look bad but function has always been flawless.
when and if this one fails I will probably buy another Leica if I don‘t upgrade my EL binos to an EL range finding bino. I guess at 15 years old it might go to heck at anytime. Until then I am happy.
I've read great things about Leicas but they are obviously more expensive. which model did you get (probably discontinued now)

I've also read good things about SIG rangefinders but heard some of them failed in the field (which is never ideal)

I've read great things about Leicas but they are obviously more expensive. which model did you get (probably discontinued now)

I've also read good things about SIG rangefinders but heard some of them failed in the field (which is never ideal)
Mine is a Leica rangemaster 1200. Like you my need was not at far ranges. It is a no frills rangefinder With no compensation But it ranges evertime. It was hellish expensive for me at the time but it lasted 15 years so far. All my buddies sort of rolled their eyes at the cost but they have all bought several more cheaper RFs thru the years. On sale I can probably replace this one with a cfr 2400-r for less money than I paid for this 1200 back when I bought it. Pretty sure you can find a Leica model for your need within the $600 budget you stated. My experience with rangefinders is limited to this one as its the only one I ever had to buy.

I have a Sig Kilo I like, a lot. Whatever you get, make sure it has a red display. Black displays are hard to read against a back ground like timber.

I looked at the Sig's a lot, and liked them slightly better. I ended up with the Vortex Ranger 1800. I liked the feel in my hand/build better, and lifetime warranty on the electronics is incredibly hard to beat.

After a year in the field with it I'm not disappointed at all.

I got the vortex ranger 1300 and love it. Small, fast readout, though furthest I've done is 525 to a pronghorn this morning

Lifetime warranty

The next one I buy will be Vortex. Hard to pass up a lifetime warranty on an electronic device.

Would be for me @mtmuley but I get what you’re saying. I don’t own any Vortex optics but it seems like most love or hate them.
I had a bad experience with Vortex. I bought my first rangefinder, a Nikon Yardage Pro 800 in 1999. It was a great rangefinder, but I somehow lost it packing an elk out in the dark. I replaced it with a Nikon Monarch Gold 1200. Still have it. A warranty doesn't sway me for a rangefinder purchase as much as how long a company has made them. mtmuley

Vortex Ranger 4000 here. I picked up a cliff band at around 3500. Has the compensator function as well. Love my vortex gear and their customer service is top notch. Best of luck!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back