looking for my 1st bow....

IndyJay

Looking for my first compound bow.... I figure my draw length will be in the 27.5-28.5" range, I have above average to moderate upper body strength so I'd guess in the 50-65lb draw range... being a lefty, I'm assuming my options are about the same as when I look for a rifle!

I've heard of Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bear, Browning, etc.... but I'm, finding that bow hunters tend to be very brand loyal when it comes to their equipment... just like us pick-up owners... I'll never have anything but a Chevy....

Anyway, any advice you guys can lend would be appreciated... also, I'm likely going used for my first bow...

Thanks,

Hit the pro shops and find a used one, all set up, with all the goodies, for about half price of a new one. If you decide you're going to get serious about archery, drop the coin on a first rate Matthews or similar in a year or two. You can easily spend $12-1500 on new.
I know where there is an awesome right handed Renegade set up for sale, sorry no leftys.

IndyJay, also remember that just because you are left handed doesn't mean you should get a left handed bow. You need to determine which eye is your dominate eye and go with that. I am also left handed, but I shoot bows and shotguns right handed because I am right eye dominant. After that Steiny gives some good advice to follow.

Hey Indyjay, go to the Outdoorsman sports shop. It's on the south side of Indianapolis,off 135, just south of Smith Valley Rd. The guy you want to talk to is Scott. Just tell him your new to bow hunting and he'll hook you up. They usually have a good selection of used bows also. There's also a hell of an archery range there and they will help you get started with the basics of shooting.

Here is left handed archery/bow classified add board for ya.

http://69.94.132.128/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Now, take my advise.
Don't do it.
This archery chit is fun and once you get started, well it's kind a like building that custom rifle. A few hundred hear, a few hundred there and pretty soon your spending some major duckets.

hanks for the advice guys... I am familiar with the Outdoorsman, I love that place! Have worked mostly with Gary McPherson and Doug Houshour on the gun side. Will llok up Scott in archery!

Thanks!

You make a good point A-Con.... can't promise I'll heed your warning though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back