PEAX Equipment

Youth bows

Stocker

I had a little youth compound as a kid. 35# draw weight. My dad gave it away to another kid when I grew out of it. My son had been shooting some of the cheaper youth bows, it’s time for him to get something decent. He’s 9, I’m guessing he can pull 25-30# right now. Any of you guys have luck with some of the youth bows? I bought my wife a Diamond bow to get started a couple years ago, nothing wrong with it, easily adjustable but can’t knock the draw length down enough for my son. Also the wife doesn’t wanna give it up.

I was thinking about just starting him off with a recurve too. Thoughts?

I had a little youth compound as a kid. 35# draw weight. My dad gave it away to another kid when I grew out of it. My son had been shooting some of the cheaper youth bows, it’s time for him to get something decent. He’s 9, I’m guessing he can pull 25-30# right now. Any of you guys have luck with some of the youth bows? I bought my wife a Diamond bow to get started a couple years ago, nothing wrong with it, easily adjustable but can’t knock the draw length down enough for my son. Also the wife doesn’t wanna give it up.

My sons will be 9 in February, and he’s been shooting the youth recurves for a couple years now, it’s boring to him, and he knows that it’s cheesy and grouping is nearly impossible. I know he’s ready for a mechanical release and a peep sight, and to learn proper form. I was told to get the peep after they get used to the release for awhile. I may try that for him early next year! I’d say don’t skimp, get something he’ll grow into and can really hunt with

My sons will be 9 in February, and he’s been shooting the youth recurves for a couple years now, it’s boring to him, and he knows that it’s cheesy and grouping is nearly impossible. I know he’s ready for a mechanical release and a peep sight, and to learn proper form. I was told to get the peep after they get used to the release for awhile. I may try that for him early next year! I’d say don’t skimp, get something he’ll grow into and can really hunt with
That’s where I’m at, I’m in between buying an adjustable adult bow that I can make for him, or a full blown youth compound that fits him. So thing like this. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/PSE...s1I5_ZRe5G-mijURwURoChTgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I’d rather buy a bow that strictly fits him now that he’ll grow out of if it’s good quality over something that may be adjustable but is junk.

You might want to double check Diamond again because I believe they are making one that will go down low enough. PSE makes some as well. If you lived closer I could build him one. I have a couple risers and enough parts to get him into something he would enjoy.

You might want to double check Diamond again because I believe they are making one that will go down low enough. PSE makes some as well. If you lived closer I could build him one. I have a couple risers and enough parts to get him into something he would enjoy.
That was something I thought of too. We have a really good bow shop close. I was gonna take him in there and let them get the measurements and build/fit a bow for him. Was just wondering if anyone else had experience with some of the bows out there. Thanks!

I think it was a diamond they were suggesting for my son at the shop as well. Good luck! Let us know what you do/get!

@Stocker, I'm a bit confused by your post and have highlighted what has me scratching my head.

All I have to say is kids grow fast. Buying a bow that they can grow with is doable but far from what ADULTs would consider decent. With that, young kids just need a bow that they feel comfortable with and is FUN for them to fling arrows with.

I would figure out what draw length your son has now. The average 9 to 10 year old boys/girls have anywhere from 20" to 24" draw length. A comfortable starter draw weight, for that age group, will fall somewhere between 20lb to 25lbs. The draw weight will become more comfortable with practice and can be increased as needed.

If you're set on spending $250+ on your son's started bow, I'd say go for it. But if your just looking for a youth compound bow that he can start out shooting and learning archery, I might have a few OLDER bows that may work.....if interested that is.

@Stocker, I'm a bit confused by your post and have highlighted what has me scratching my head.

All I have to say is kids grow fast. Buying a bow that they can grow with is doable but far from what ADULTs would consider decent. With that, young kids just need a bow that they feel comfortable with and is FUN for them to fling arrows with.

I would figure out what draw length your son has now. The average 9 to 10 year old boys/girls have anywhere from 20" to 24" draw length. A comfortable starter draw weight, for that age group, will fall somewhere between 20lb to 25lbs. The draw weight will become more comfortable with practice and can be increased as needed.

If you're set on spending $250+ on your son's started bow, I'd say go for it. But if your just looking for a youth compound bow that he can start out shooting and learning archery, I might have a few OLDER bows that may work.....if interested that is.
Sorry, in my incoherent rambling things make sense in my head, but not too much for the readers. A bow like this is what I’m talking about as far as cheap like he has, more of a toy than a bow.https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bear-archery-brave-youth-bow-set?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CCatchAll%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CHigh%7CNMT&gclid=CjwKCAjwm8WZBhBUEiwA178UnMjRRA-JsEe0RObYlHBNP8ycn5eZcG7LLTiXxHehbvH1y85PRAaQIBoCPCwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was just kind of wondering whether the best route was to setup a bow like you are saying specifically for him, or go the adjustable route. I don’t mind spending money on a good bow for him, but I’d rather not spend $250 on a youth bow like I posted before that isn’t much more that a toy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back