Looking for merriam hunt in NM or MT

ARO

I'm trying to plan a merriam hunt for next spring, and am looking for a trespass fee type hunt in Montana or New Meixco, 2 bird area. I am looking for a semi guided type thing, private land to hunt on and lodging. Dont need a guide or meals. If anybody has any recommendations, i would apreciate it.

Not quite what you're talking about, but have you thought about hunting the Black Hills in Wyoming and SD on a 2 state hunt? There are plenty of cabins that are pretty cheap out there this time of year and millions of acres with lots of birds around the Custer area over on into WY toward Newcastle. I've been out there several times, had good luck and lots of fun in a beautiful area, and the pressure is not bad at all for all public land. If you decide to go that route, I would suggest going right about now as any earlier and the weather can be pretty nasty with the birds still all flocked up and not responding much to calls.

Last edited:
I don't know any landowners or guides in eastern Montana. However, you don't need one to shoot a bird. Plenty of public land to chase them on.

IIRC, according to the map for ID, these are Merriams and came from public land.

Picture271.jpg

I think think they might be mutts though...

Last edited:
With all the transplants of different sub species into ID, I think its hard to call them one or the other certainly. Still fun to hunt and lots of public land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back