Looking for hunting partner(s): Looking for a hunting partner for individual hunts/states or all around person/group to match up with

gwhunter

So my father is aging out of being able to accompany me out west each year and my children are too young yet. I'm looking for a hunting partner, essentially, for anyplace I can draw a tag; antlerless or antlered. The people I hunt with here in Michigan that are getting into western hunting are either too restricted on what they can and can't do (only 1st week of October, for example) or aren't interested in the variety of states, species, or hunts I'm willing to apply for (Only antlered elk, or no interest in pronghorn, etc.). What actually brings me to posting on this page looking for a hunting partner is the Utah antlerless draw that is open and not being able to find anyone who is a part of my hunting circle willing to apply for a doe or cow tag. My wife and family are fairly adamant about me not going solo into places without cell service (I'm also type 1 diabetic), even with an in-reach. I'm on board with my family's concerns and am now looking for someone to either share individual hunts/applications with or someone willing to apply to any and all locations that are willing to give a tag out.

A little about me:

38 years old. I became interested in western hunting after watching bigfin on oyoa and joining the forum in 2014 after getting a job/career that could support it. I received a lot of guidance and help over the years on this page both directly and indirectly from folks like @JohnCushman @BuzzH @mtmuley @Lawnboy @hank4elk @WapitiBob & Topgun (thank you all!), and a host of others, as recently as help with my first out of state turkey hunt from @cedahm and @Stocker . I've been learning more and more each year and keep expanding the number of states I apply in and the variety of hunts I apply for. Here are some more specific details about me and my hunting style:

• I currently apply in or have points in the following states, primarily for Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn:
    • Wyoming (too many to spend on general, not enough for most of the type 9s), Colorado(only a couple points), Utah(only a couple points), Nevada (just started this year on points), and Arizona (eligible for loyalty point next draw cycle and have my ethics point). I always apply for New Mexico and actually shot my first elk (and only elk, a spike that I shot on the 3rd day that I would have been happy with on the last day) in the Gilla on my first time applying in 2016.
      • I am open to apply in Idaho, but probably will never apply in Montana, Oregon, or Washington (though OTC, if any, isn't off the table)
  • I drive from Michigan to whichever state I'm hunting
    • My current Profession/Job (and Wife!) allows me a fair amount of flexibility so I can hunt during any open season for any open animal, and could probably swing up to two western hunting trips per year (I did my first hunt of the year already in Nebraska for turkey). I can be gone from work/home for up to 14 consecutive days
    • I am willing to drive to any state for almost any game animal. Although I doubt I would travel just for something like Javelina or Grouse/Pheasants. I'm also not really into bear or predator hunting.
  • I will go on at least 1 western big game hunt per year and if not successful with any draws will ALWAYS end up hunting OTC archery elk in CO.
    • I will hunt an early archery antelope tag in August all the way to an OTC Arizona deer tag in January
  • For elk, I prefer to hunt with archery equipment during the rut. But am open to any method of take or season with the lowest preference being muzzleloader. (Here in MI we use scopes and 209s so I'm not really interested in purchasing another muzzleloader)
  • I would prefer hunting in scorching hot temps over frigid cold but prefer middle to end of September in almost any location ;)
  • I normally will hunt from the truck everyday and have a variety of tent and camping setups, although I'm actively expanding my backcountry camping gear and will likely be able to do a backcountry hunt as soon as this year. (most recent purchase was a Nallo GT)
  • I don't drink or smoke(either), but am not opposed to anyone who does as long as it's at the end of the day and doesn't interfere with the ability to get up in the morning
  • I am open to do as much as apply & hunt & drive as a party(when applicable) all the way down to just sharing a camping spot so we can check in on each other at the end of each day.
  • I will usually always have a partner from Michigan to accompany me on a CO OTC archery if need be but would be open to coordinating any/all OTC options as well
  • While I don't have a spreadsheet to match @wllm or the memorized draw process like @WapitiBob I understand the nuances of the majority of the western state's draw processes.

Thanks for reading the long post if you made it to the end!

Last edited:
So my father is aging out of being able to accompany me out west each year and my children are too young yet. I'm looking for a hunting partner, essentially, for anyplace I can draw a tag; antlerless or antlered. The people I hunt with here in Michigan that are getting into western hunting are either too restricted on what they can and can't do (only 1st week of October, for example) or aren't interested in the variety of states, species, or hunts I'm willing to apply for (Only antlered elk, or no interest in pronghorn, etc.). What actually brings me to posting on this page looking for a hunting partner is the Utah antlerless draw that is open and not being able to find anyone who is a part of my hunting circle willing to apply for a doe or cow tag. My wife and family are fairly adamant about me not going solo into places without cell service (I'm also type 1 diabetic), even with an in-reach. I'm on board with my family's concerns and am now looking for someone to either share individual hunts/applications with or someone willing to apply to any and all locations that are willing to give a tag out.

A little about me:

38 years old. I became interested in western hunting after watching bigfin on oyoa and joining the forum in 2014 after getting a job/career that could support it. I received a lot of guidance and help over the years on this page both directly and indirectly from folks like @JohnCushman @BuzzH @mtmuley @Lawnboy @hank4elk @WapitiBob & Topgun (thank you all!), and a host of others, as recently as help with my first out of state turkey hunt from @cedahm and @Stocker . I've been learning more and more each year and keep expanding the number of states I apply in and the variety of hunts I apply for. Here are some more specific details about me and my hunting style:

• I currently apply in or have points in the following states, primarily for Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn:
    • Wyoming (too many to spend on general, not enough for most of the type 9s), Colorado(only a couple points), Utah(only a couple points), Nevada (just started this year on points), and Arizona (eligible for loyalty point next draw cycle and have my ethics point). I always apply for New Mexico and actually shot my first elk (and only elk, a spike that I shot on the 3rd day that I would have been happy with on the last day) in the Gilla on my first time applying in 2016.
      • I am open to apply in Idaho, but probably will never apply in Montana, Oregon, or Washington (though OTC, if any, isn't off the table)
    • My current Profession/Job (and Wife!) allows me a fair amount of flexibility so I can hunt during any open season for any open animal, and could probably swing up to two western hunting trips per year (I did my first hunt of the year already in Nebraska for turkey). I can be gone from work/home for up to 14 consecutive days
    • I am willing to drive to any state for almost any game animal. Although I doubt I would travel just for something like Javelina or Grouse/Pheasants. I'm also not really into bear or predator hunting.
  • I will go on at least 1 western big game hunt per year and if not successful with any draws will ALWAYS end up hunting OTC archery elk in CO.
    • I will hunt an early archery antelope tag in August all the way to an OTC Arizona deer tag in January
  • For elk, I prefer to hunt with archery equipment during the rut. But am open to any method of take or season with the lowest preference being muzzleloader. (Here in MI we use scopes and 209s so I'm not really interested in purchasing another muzzleloader)
  • I would prefer hunting in scorching hot temps over frigid cold but prefer middle to end of September in almost any location ;)
  • I normally will hunt from the truck everyday and have a variety of tent and camping setups, although I'm actively expanding my backcountry camping gear and will likely be able to do a backcountry hunt as soon as this year. (most recent purchase was a Nallo GT)
  • I don't drink or smoke(either), but am not opposed to anyone who does as long as it's at the end of the day and doesn't interfere with the ability to get up in the morning
  • I am open to do as much as apply & hunt & drive as a party(when applicable) all the way down to just sharing a camping spot so we can check in on each other at the end of each day.
  • I will usually always have a partner from Michigan to accompany me on a CO OTC archery if need be but would be open to coordinating any/all OTC options as well
  • While I don't have a spreadsheet to match @wllm or the memorized draw process like @WapitiBob I understand the nuances of the majority of the western state's draw processes.

I'm not sure how good fit I would be for you but let see.
46 years old in good shape married 3 kids living west of Chicago.
Went twice to Colorado OTC came back with empty cooler but had a great time it was a God's blessing to spent 6 days backpacking a hiking with a bow.
First time went with my friend but it was to hard for him soo he is not going back and my wife did not like me going second time alone.I don't have any point soo OTC is the only option for me.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not sure how good fit I would be for you but let see.
46 years old in good shape married 3 kids living west of Chicago.
Went twice to Colorado OTC came back with empty cooler but had a great time it was a God's blessing to spent 6 days backpacking a hiking with a bow.
First time went with my friend but it was to hard for him soo he is not going back and my wife did not like me going second time alone.I don't have any point soo OTC is the only option for me.
Let me know if you have any questions.
I have been planning a OTC archery hunt in Colorado with my uncle but his wife has fallen ill and he probably won’t be able to make it, I’m still wanting to go have a solid plan location done tons of E mapping With BaseMap and have been in this area once already, I am 47 years old with wife and one child from Minnesota. Let me know your thoughts my number is 320-224-8540 feel free to text me.

Not sure if I replied correctly as I clicked on reply underneath your post but then scroll down to write another, I would be interested I am currently planning a Colorado OTC archery elk hunt and looking for a partner, feel free to text me at 320-224-8540

A little about me:

I am looking for a hunting companion for second week of archery season otc in Colorado if interested call or text me @ 320-224-8540
47 from Minnesota

GW...If you could post some links to your previous hunt reports, I think it would help folks understand your values, and strengths as a hunting partner.

GW...If you could post some links to your previous hunt reports, I think it would help folks understand your values, and strengths as a hunting partner.
I think therein lies my shortcomings as a contributor to this forum. I'm all for posting about cooler recommendations or experiences driving cross country to hunt out west, or about thoughts on units I've been to. But I really drop the ball when it comes to the writeup after the hunt. I've already got my plans for this year solidified, but with the prompt from you on this, perhaps a legitimate writeup after this year's hunt in the Colorado OTC zone I'm heading to will be helpful in sharing my values and hunting styles.

Thanks @2rocky for the recommendations!

I am looking for a hunting companion for second week of archery season otc in Colorado if interested call or text me @ 320-224-8540
47 from Minnesota
Hey Born, I've already got my plans wrapped up for this year (doing OTC archery in the Flattops 3rd and 4th week)) but if you would be interested in applying together during application season in any states just let me know which state and species you'd be interested in.

I am in Idaho. I hunt the Selway for deer and elk. Lots of people think it’s dead. I’ve been successful every year I go. I am also very big on duck and goose hunting. More so than big game. I am looking for someone to go on lots of hunting trips. I am getting all kitted out this year. I have been an avid waterfowl hunter since 12. Took a 9 year break due to military service. Then another 5 years due to work/life shit.
About me:
34 years old
Married with 1 child
Retired so able to hunt the entire season
Current setup
2011 RAM 3500
6x12 trailer
2 dozen duck decoys (water)
2 doz full body Canada dekes.
Big game setup is backcountry tent 300 win mag first lite everything hunting gear
Mystery ranch pack
Idk if anyone is interested.

I am in Idaho. I hunt the Selway for deer and elk. Lots of people think it’s dead. I’ve been successful every year I go. I am also very big on duck and goose hunting. More so than big game. I am looking for someone to go on lots of hunting trips. I am getting all kitted out this year. I have been an avid waterfowl hunter since 12. Took a 9 year break due to military service. Then another 5 years due to work/life shit.
About me:
34 years old
Married with 1 child
Retired so able to hunt the entire season
Current setup
2011 RAM 3500
6x12 trailer
2 dozen duck decoys (water)
2 doz full body Canada dekes.
Big game setup is backcountry tent 300 win mag first lite everything hunting gear
Mystery ranch pack
Idk if anyone is interested.
Flak -

I just got back from the Selway this evening (Dixie area) and would love to chat about the area! Shoot me a text if you’re up for it! 412-2four5-seven379

Cheers!

Michigan guy here. Collecting points in a few different states. Pm me if you want to do some joint planning

Not sure if I replied correctly as I clicked on reply underneath your post but then scroll down to write another, I would be interested I am currently planning a Colorado OTC archery elk hunt and looking for a partner, feel free to text me at 320-224-8540
Hope you're interested in an extended warrantee for your car.

Back